Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Megane Signature 1.2 Petrol
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

An independent garage changed both my drop links for Optimal branded parts I supplied, in November

I had my MOT this week and had advisories "... Front Upper Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))" for both!!!

I believe the German part brand to be reputable and an surprised if my garage could have damaged them, as an easy part to change, so would appreciate any info as to the likely cause, before I go back to my garage

Thank you in anticipation
Simon

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,233 Posts
Take a look at them.
Normally those sort of covers are long lasting, even on cheap makes.
But could be that your Optimal branded parts were only in an Optimal branded box and are actually knock offs.
Damage when fitting is possible, if someone stuck a mole wrench on them for instance but should show if that was the case.
Fluid leaks can bu55er them?
And it is not unknown for MOT stations to add phantom advisories in the hope you will get them to sort it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Dancingdad, that's helpful. Yeh I plan to have a look myself over the weekend

Cheers

·
23,233 Posts
I assume that the links came with new dust covers and the garage didn't re-fit the old ones?

Can't really see that unless there were no covers with the links but another possibily.
I've known that happen with brakes where people re-fit the old dust covers on the sliders

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume that the links came with new dust covers and the garage didn't re-fit the old ones?

Can't really see that unless there were no covers with the links but another possibily.
I've known that happen with brakes where people re-fit the old dust covers on the sliders
Ahh Yes, that might be 'all' it is. I opened the boxes when they arrived and there were no separate covers in there.

All will be revealed over the weekend when I take a peek

Thanks again👍😀

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK so having been under for a proper peek it is the rubber covers on the link arm itself - both top ends, but the bottoms look good. Based on that I reckon the fitting garage is at fault so will have to see what they say... Automotive tire Hood Tread Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim
Automotive tire Flash photography Water Gas Rim
Plumbing Gas Audio equipment Metal Auto part

Attachments

·
23,233 Posts
Wouldn't call any worn or deteriorated but the tops don't seem to be seated properly.
My guess is garage tightened everything up before putting weight on suspension, which wouldn't affect the joints/links but could have twisted the rubbers as things settled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts