Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im going to drain and replace the antifreeze on my 1.8 16v 99 Laguna and was wondering if it should be a special type as I know from owning a Ford they use a blue/pink (different properties for some reason) which couldnt be mixed.

Is this the case with my renault?

What type or make do you use/reccomend?

Thanks in advance

Adamsy

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
What anti-freeze

I would recomend the stuff by renault purely because it is formulated for their engines. Whilst the cheap stuff will offer frost protection it may not have the same anti-corrosive properties. My 13 year old Clio has had nothing but the renault stuff during its lifetime and the innards of the engine are like new and the water botttle is perfectly clean. Also some anti-freezes can be harsh on plastics and rubber seals and pipes. The wrong stuff can cause pipes and plastics to become hard and brittle. You pays your money and you takes your chance. What's the old saying "Buy cheap and end up paying twice":)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Have to say that the ability to resist freezing, is only one of the properties of an all-season coolant.

As anyone who remembers their science days, a solution has the following Colligative Properties;
  1. depression (reduction) of freezing point - i.e. the solution will start to solidify at a lower point(temp) than either consitituent components would in isolation.
  2. elevation (increase) of boiling point - i.e. the solution will start to evaporate at a higher point(temp) than either constituent components would in isolation.
In addition to these important factors - as Noel correctly states, there are additives which inhibit corrosion and help keep the waterways & radiator free from the build-up of sludge.

So to call it 'anti-freeze' is only partly accurate, as you can see.

Personally, I think the engine/transmission is so reliant on the various fluids which lubricate, clean and cool, that I would never consider compromising the quality - its a very short-term view, which can have longer-term implications.

Paul:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts