Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rite guys i have a msi u230 now its got win 7 on it and im wanting to put xp on it but its got a sata harddrive now i have had a go at trying to change it to ide or what ever in the bios but there is nuthing there to change it to so i can boot it from a usb cd rom and install xp before any 1 says set it in the boot menu that not my prob the prob is xp isnt seeing the drive as its a sata and crashes to a blue screen when trying to install xp so any ideas guys?:crazy:

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
If you are trying to install the Windows XP from scratch on the laptop, please BE SURE that you put the Hard Drive on "Compatibility" mode in BIOS, which was defaulted to "AHCI" (Compatibility is also known as IDE).

Otherwise, you will experience the "blue screen" issue. To change that setting, you need to do the following:
1. Press F2 when booting up the computer
2. Select 'Config', then 'Serial ATA (SATA)'
3. Change controller option to 'Compatibility' / 'IDE'

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have set up xp on a windows virtual pc so will see how that works out for me:d

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rite guys still problems lol i have 2 yellow ? marks in device manager here is the photo and this keeps poping up when i start the virtual

the icons

the pop up when starting the virtual

G

·
0 Posts
Have you installed "Virtual Machine Additions"?

If not, install it and reboot the VM.

Richard

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where do i get them from ?

G

·
0 Posts
IIRC its part of the Virtual PC download, so. once you've started the XP VM, go to the VPC menu and choose "Install or Update Virtual Machine Additions".

Richard

Apologies if this doesn't make sense, but alcohol does that:d

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Going back to post one, & maybe I'm miles off beam here.

Windoz XP alone from what I recall doesn't see SATA drives, the SATA drivers for XP (if they exist) should be on the the Mother boards CD these I used to copy to a floppy disk, I guess now you would need to copy them to a USB stick.

During the installation of XP pretty much the first input screen that you come across asks if you need to install (I think priority drivers if yes hit F6 (I think)

At that stage or just after you will need to load the SATA driver from the USB or floppy disk, whichever.

The first problem is finding the driver on the CDROM, the second problem IMO is will XP support the Win 7 hardware.

HTH

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's because the version of xp you have doesn't have the necessary drivers I'd say.
Download Nlite, it's software that allows you to repack your XP disc with extra drivers. Then download the nessesary drivers and just stick them in.
If you've trouble finding software I'll help you out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts