Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intermitant ESP fault!

Paid £56 to Renault and they say there is no fault. As per my previous threads that as of yet have had no response. My Laguna 2 V6 has a intermitant warning of ESP faulty. Anyone have any ideas or know what the most common fault can be please. My next step is to take off the wheels and clean the sensors. I assume there is one on each wheel? Are they easy to get at? Will cleaning help.

The ESP works as does the abs I have tested both out on the road!

Thanks

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,927 Posts
I have no experience of ESP but if it uses the same sensors as the ABS then it would be worth cleaning the sensors and checking the reluctor rings for cracks and any looseness, also for any grease contamination from leaking drive shaft gators.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks that's my next plan of action! Seems Renault can't be arsed unless the computer tells them what's wrong!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The abs defiantly works. I found a quiet road today and a quiet round about. I drove around the roundabout slowly picking up speed until the ESP took over and was correcting the vehicles line. After this I drove down a national speed limit road got up a good speed and pressed the brake pedal and didn't lift off the abs kicked in the car stops lovely so everything is work as it should. It's just a mystery with the warning I occasionally get!!

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
My Vel Satis used to warn that the "Number plate illumination is faulty" from time to time, when it wasn't! My Laguna used to say "ABS system faulty, consult your Renault dealer" when it was fine, and the Mégane seems to think it has a puncture in a wheel that is absolutely fine. It's just their way! :d

·
Registered
60 Posts
have you had the esp reset on diagnostics, normally this should be done whenever a vehicle has been tracked or new steering components have been fitted .

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I'm no expert but ESP doesn't just use the abs system there is a sensor in the steering collumn and a sensor that actually measures the cars direction in relation to the steering position so it could be one of those other sensors that maybe has a bad connection.

As to where these other sensors are I couldn't comment.

·
Registered
60 Posts
it runs with the abs sensors and the one on the steering colum talks to the control unit so if its out of sync it will come up with a fault

1 - 9 of 9 Posts