Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am new to this forum and also a new renault espace owner. A few months ago i bought an espace vreg 2ltre 16v, i was driving along tonight and all of a sudden the engine died almost as if i had turned the ignition off, no noises, coughing or spluttering, and then the engine would not restart, so i called the rac and the chap tried eeasy start in it and still nothing so said it wasnt a fuel problem, connected a little handheld computer and it came up with 2 faults, the first was, transmission fluid over heat but he cleared that so said it was an old fault, it also threw up an unidentifiable fault and he said his computer was not the best needs to be on a garage one really. everything in the car lights up on the dash and all instruments work fine, i have no warning lights, the immob light seems to be doing what it should and i get the OK message on the dash, it turns over fine but just wont start. Please any ideas would be greatly appreciated as i cant really afford to take it to a garage
many thanks stewart

G

·
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

The problem could lie with crank shaft sensor aka TDC sensor it's at the top of the gearbox just below the cylinder head. Remove it and give a good clean as they get covered in magnetized crap and that leads to problems with cutting out and starting that diagnostic equipment isn't always able to pick up on.

The TDC connector can also become faulty causing the same problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the quick response are they easily accessible on this model, i will certainly have a gander tomorrow and update you, its strange because now i think back just after i got it, once the engine was hot it would start but cut out again then i would have to restart and give it loads of revs to keep it running but this seemed to clear itself all of a sudden and its been fine for a few weeks then this.

G

·
I'm not sure about in the Espace as I've never had my spanners to one or even lifted the bonnet

However the engine is used in several different models and the procedure is going to be pretty much the same. Have a look at this thread it's a 1.4 K4J 16v Megane engine the TDC sensor on your 2.0 F4R 16v will be in in exactly the same place and look the same as both engines are extremely similar in design and the TDC sensor problem is fairly common to all Renault's

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10062&highlight=changing+TDC+sensor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right Ok update, been out this morning and gie the tdc sensor a good clean and still wont start, however i did notice this morning when i tried to turn it over for the first time since last night, on the first crank i heard only what can be described as a little pop from the engine as if there where to much fuel in the engine and it burned of the excess, is a clean good enough for the tdc or could it need replacing, as tbh it wasnt that dirty.
thanks again stewart,

ps when the wife was in the car turning it over for me, she said the oil warning light came on where it normally says OK, but it is full of oil, and also she said a couple of times when i thought it was going to start because it really sounded like it, she said the dash flickered on and off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok update again just had rac back out and he said by turning it over he can tell the cam belt has snapped and buggered the engine, so time for the scappy, i personally would have thought if it had snapped the car would have jolted or juddered when it happened rather than cruise to a gentle stop.

G

·
These 16 valve engines can die quiet quietly when the cam belt snaps / guide roller collapses.

Service interval is 72,000 miles or 5 years which ever comes 1st.

I was driving the GF's Scenic a few years ago at 7 years old and 55,000 miles a timing belt guide roller collapsed causing about 10 of the valves to get bent. I have repaired several of these engine now and all were well past the time service period.

If you remove the oil filler cap and get some one to turn the engine you should see the inlet cam shaft rotating if the cam belt hasn't broken?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is what the rac chap done with a miirror over th eoil filler cap best i can find so far is £1000 for a second hand engine then its getting someone to fit off to the scrappies me thikns:mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.