Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a new mk4 2016 car and finding it very light on the steering. lovely for parking yes but when driving along and cornering it would be nice to tighten it up a bit . - anyone of doing that but not doing anything drastic?

maybe just got to get of it because our previous car was a Mk2 Clio 2002 8v 1.2 and I think it had electric power steering, and it had steel wheels , not alloys .

Our new mk4 one I think has hydraulic power steering - well I think it has , I flip the bonnet and can see a power steering pump and the big rubber/metal pipes going to the pump but i cannot see a steering fluid reservoir .

any ideas?

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
21,731 Posts
just got a new mk4 2016 car and finding it very light on the steering. lovely for parking yes but when driving along and cornering it would be nice to tighten it up a bit . - anyone of doing that but not doing anything drastic?

maybe just got to get of it because our previous car was a Mk2 Clio 2002 8v 1.2 and I think it had electric power steering, and it had steel wheels , not alloys .

Our new mk4 one I think has hydraulic power steering - well I think it has , I flip the bonnet and can see a power steering pump and the big rubber/metal pipes going to the pump but i cannot see a steering fluid reservoir .

any ideas?
I'm almost sure it is electric power steering but not certain, steel or alloys won't make a difference, check your tyre pressures if to high can affect the steering other than that:idunno:

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
It must be electric but not 100 percent sure. I had the same impression after I changed from Octavia, you will get used to it after sometime and wont feel it anymore - I hope :)

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,749 Posts
Not got winter air in the tyres still have you :wink2:

Check not too much air in the tyres.
Or take 2lb out of the front and then try it until you get used to it, then re-inflate to correct pressure..

Make sure back have enough in ..
If slightly low then front end will be sitting to high ..

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It must be electric but not 100 percent sure. I had the same impression after I changed from Octavia, you will get used to it after sometime and wont feel it anymore - I hope :)
i really thought it was the hydraulic steering pump because it had the hoses on it and it was on the drive belt - this is a pic I took the other day

Attachments

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
21,886 Posts
i really thought it was the hydraulic steering pump because it had the hoses on it and it was on the drive belt - this is a pic I took the other day

Jeez Thats the air con genny..:laugh:

How to stiffen up power steering..easy..drop some blue pills in the hydraulic fluid..:nerd:

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I believe the old fiat Punto's used to have electric power steering and used to have a 'city' switch on the dash and when it was on city the steering became light , but you could turn the city mode off and it tightened up the steering when driving. Am I right on that one?

no such way of adapting the steering on a clio like this no?

I will try letting some air out the front tyres tomorrow (or rather check the psi) and see if that makes it a bit stiffer :D

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,032 Posts
IT's do the required like checking tyres, pressures and tread, tracking if in any doubt and a full geometry and joint check if still in doubt.
All of which can make steering seem sharp, actually can be the car not reacting smoothly and snatching.
You can find someone with Renault diagnostics who can get into steering settings and check them as well as check for any errors in system.
But it may simply be that it is light steering and you will adapt to it.

Try a Kia Picanto for sharp steering BTW, number of times I've almost hurled the Common DIL's little beast into the decorative bits by corners :surprise:

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
21,886 Posts
Try a Kia Picanto for sharp steering BTW, number of times I've almost hurled the Common DIL's little beast into the decorative bits by corners :surprise:

My Dacia sandero stepway aka Tonka toy was the same and my ix20.. seems to be the way they are building cars in general now..long gone are the days you needed muscles like Hulk to do a 3 point turn..

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I was driving like a newbie when I started with mine, the steering really feels like feather when you switch from another car. Even while turning, I was not able to steer properly. After a week it felt better, after a month it felt okay. Now when I drive Civic, I feel like sitting in the chair of a truck, the steering feels so tough after Renault. I also drove Megane IV, Clio IV, same feeling.

Like the others say, the tire pressure might help a little bit :)

·
Premium Member
3,910 Posts
no such way of adapting the steering on a clio like this no?

Pretty sure not - I have Mk III Clio - ditto electric PAS - no options - I think it's supposed to be "adaptive" i.e. tightens up the faster you go, so you don't swerve off the road every time you hiccup. :grin2: (My old Ford Scorpio didn't so you had to concentrate like bu99ery to keep it in a straight line over 60 mph :grin2: )

Ditto about tyres, yes on mine front tyre pressures can have a big affect on the steering feel.

HTH

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
went out to the car today (dodged the rain showers) and found the tyre pressure settings on the drivers door, then found my handy little digital tyre pressure yoke, all tyres (195/55/16) were over-inflated. the front ones were 27psi on the drivers and 29psi on the passenger and i think the recommended were 22psi. - the back ones where over-iinflated to so I took them down .

Gonna take it out later for a spin, see if thats made the car a bit heavier on the steering. - i like the feeling of it sitting nice and stable on the road and round corners rather than light steering.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts