Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Captur tce 120 edc , 2010 Lancer VIII 1.8 143 hp
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gents

I was planning to get a dog next year as we are gonna have a small garden and I like dags. Lately I heard from our new neighbors that they have seen vipers :surprise: around, the new house we have is out of city and there is a big deep forest behind us.

I`d wanna feel safe when I let the little one out when she wants to play. I am thinking about getting a dog from shelter. There are many kind of dogs available from German shepherd, labrador to terriers.

What I need is a dog that can guard the area, mid or prefer large, which can deal with other animals like snakes and so on, get on well with the kids and can do without us everyday while we are at work.

Terriers do seem like the best option from what I check but i do not feel like having a terrier. German shepherd would seem like good idea but I see that they are prone to chronic health problems, same with Swiss mountain dog. We have -10 to -20 celsius in winters so it should be a dog strong against the cold weather.

I cannot keep the dog at home but will of course give a place in the garage during winter

That`ll be my first dog for starters. Which kinda dog would you recommend?

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,913 Posts
Been out with a few :grin2::grin2:

Did you have to carry poop bags for those and I bet you have a few raunchy tales to tell us..this thread might be best moved to the behave section before the smut starts flying..>:)

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,358 Posts
Would luv another dog, just when last one got killed it broke me.
We had a border collies, she luved the snow, would fall asleep in it..
Was as brave as anything when in on her own, complete coward if we were in.
Daughters border, scared of nothing ( Bought up on an army barracks next to the shooting range )

Not sure what dog would be daft enough to attack a snake, as most have been bred over the years ( instinct ) to keep away..

Unless you can get a dog from the shelter that was brought up on a Farm.
you could well struggle to fill your needs..

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,601 Posts
i was from a tiny tot always been around gsd dogs once i met the mrs its the only dogs we have had , you never leave a dog with a child no matter what evan though all mine over the years have been with the kids from birth and now the last 4 with our grand kids , they protect kids more than they do you :grin2: but as with any dogs get one that has been breed from a bad breed then you cant trust them with anyone or any other dog , gsd,s are classed as the most intelligent and need training to stop them getting bored we go about 2 miles a day walking off lead they are trained to ignore other people and dogs , one young one at the moment has to stay on lead as he thinks every person or dog is there to play , only when another dog owner tells us it ok to let him off lead do we do it . you will find each dog has there own personality .
some dogs if they have a bone and you or anyone else trys to take it will snap first thing we do is work with them so they know any one can take a bone or toy from them and they know they will get it back , i have seen a lab turn nasty when it had a bone . there is so much to learn but remember from the start you are the boss never let them think you are lower down the food chain or you will be re-homing it not long after you get it
the 2 we have now first the softest gsd ***** we have ever had 3 years old then the ass hole only just turned 1 that is very clever like a 4 year old kid and trys it on to be top dog the picture he is about 10 weeks old

Attachments

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,913 Posts
My Dad had a boxer that he ruined..the bleedin thing was inches away from grabbing my 1st born out of his cot and would have no doubt done for him if I hadnt been quicker..never liked dogs since and wouldn't give one house room..

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
23,040 Posts
The vipers are your main problem as you can't really protect your dog/s from them and to lose canine friend by a snake would destroy you.

Advise you to really think about it, maybe a Mongoose, they love snakes!:wink2:

·
9,519 Posts
Quick points:-

a) Its not fair on the dog if no one is going to be home for many hours (over 5hrs+) each day .... especially if you only have one dog. They are very sociable animals.

b) Is it only going to be an outside guard dog or allowed into the house once adults are home ?

c) I wouldn't trust any size of dog alone with young children.

d) Will a dog barking constantly upset your neighbours (when you are out you don't have a clue how they are behaving).

e) Any risk of dog theft from the yard/garden while you are out at work each day?

f) The dog should have access to comfortable shelter all year eg cool shade in summer and a warm comfy bed above the hard concrete floor in winter out of draughts. Also some electric light on dark afternoons/evenings.

g) Probably the most suitable breeds are the Husky type but their fur is coarse and not so cuddly or any of the sheepdog / farm type breeds.

h) Do you really want a dog as a friendly people loving pet or if as a burglar deterrent would a decent alarm system be better?

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would luv another dog, just when last one got killed it broke me.
We had a border collies, she luved the snow, would fall asleep in it..
Was as brave as anything when in on her own, complete coward if we were in.
Daughters border, scared of nothing ( Bought up on an army barracks next to the shooting range )

Not sure what dog would be daft enough to attack a snake, as most have been bred over the years ( instinct ) to keep away..

Unless you can get a dog from the shelter that was brought up on a Farm.
you could well struggle to fill your needs..
the area is a little into the wildlife, till now we heard snakes (not many of em comes close but there is only one kind which is poisonous), foxen, hogs and so on. It would be nice to have some companion to at least think em twice to get close :)

The problem with the shelter, hard to know the pedigree of those dogs as most of them were abandoned or abused so that actually you do not have much chance to see.

Thanks for the tip for border collies, they seem to be beautiful dogs, I will check more about them.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was from a tiny tot always been around gsd dogs once i met the mrs its the only dogs we have had , you never leave a dog with a child no matter what evan though all mine over the years have been with the kids from birth and now the last 4 with our grand kids , they protect kids more than they do you :grin2: but as with any dogs get one that has been breed from a bad breed then you cant trust them with anyone or any other dog , gsd,s are classed as the most intelligent and need training to stop them getting bored we go about 2 miles a day walking off lead they are trained to ignore other people and dogs , one young one at the moment has to stay on lead as he thinks every person or dog is there to play , only when another dog owner tells us it ok to let him off lead do we do it . you will find each dog has there own personality .
some dogs if they have a bone and you or anyone else trys to take it will snap first thing we do is work with them so they know any one can take a bone or toy from them and they know they will get it back , i have seen a lab turn nasty when it had a bone . there is so much to learn but remember from the start you are the boss never let them think you are lower down the food chain or you will be re-homing it not long after you get it
the 2 we have now first the softest gsd ***** we have ever had 3 years old then the ass hole only just turned 1 that is very clever like a 4 year old kid and trys it on to be top dog the picture he is about 10 weeks old
The little one is really beautiful >:)

Will need to learn a lot about the behavior of the dogs and how to behave... Actually I d rather go for a 1-2 year old than a puppy. German shepherds always impressed me but there is some distance and that makes me think about the relationship with the kid. I think I might end up with adopting one of those but I need to think thoroughly

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Quick points:-

a) Its not fair on the dog if no one is going to be home for many hours (over 5hrs+) each day .... especially if you only have one dog. They are very sociable animals. Two things make me stop first keeping the dog away from home, second working hours. I spend fair time at home working remotely but at least 2 weeks I am away and busy and second dog can push my budget when I look at the numbers.

b) Is it only going to be an outside guard dog or allowed into the house once adults are home ?It does not seem possible to convince my wife to take the dog in the house, I believe I can empty the garage for the friend for winter time but I know what you mean, that is not the case.

c) I wouldn't trust any size of dog alone with young children. Would not that be possible (of course after spending enough time) to let the little one out playing with trampoline and whatever or run around the house while the dog watches her?

d) Will a dog barking constantly upset your neighbours (when you are out you don't have a clue how they are behaving). probably we will hear the answer from the neighbours :)

e) Any risk of dog theft from the yard/garden while you are out at work each day? Very calm and nice area, from what we heard, it looks like dog theft risk is low.

f) The dog should have access to comfortable shelter all year eg cool shade in summer and a warm comfy bed above the hard concrete floor in winter out of draughts. Also some electric light on dark afternoons/evenings. I am thinking about a nice kennel in the back yard and a cosy place for cold times in the garage.

g) Probably the most suitable breeds are the Husky type but their fur is coarse and not so cuddly or any of the sheepdog / farm type breeds. Turkish kangal, Husky, German shepherd, Saint Bernard/Swiss mountain dog would be my choices from what I have read.

h) Do you really want a dog as a friendly people loving pet or if as a burglar deterrent would a decent alarm system be better I have got cameras and basic alarm system :laugh: first and main point is protection against the animals around especially for my daughter, second a good friend for me- I really like dogs, third I believe it could help teach my daughter to love the animals..
:

·
9,519 Posts
Two dogs don't really cost that more to keep than one dog .. and they are good company for each other. And it doesn't matter if they are of different breeds. Of course as they get old you have double the amount of vet bills if they are prone to health problems.

Wife doesn't want dog in the house :confused: If she is nervous of dogs or just don't like them or is very house-proud (eg no muddy footprints on the floor) then maybe it is not the time to think about getting one especially if you are away from home some days.

The new dog may become good with your child but also think about when other children are in the house. Some dogs are nervous of visitors and children move quickly and tend to shout and scream which can unsettle any dog. Also some dogs can 'play bite' (my Spaniel does) which young children will interpret as an 'attack bite'. Could cause bad feeling with their parents.

The breeds you have mentioned are quite big with big appetites ... which means big poops to pick up each day as well :nerd:. A shovel may be useful :grin2:

A Newfoundland would be lovely but they are big dogs too. Border Collies are fabulous ( I have one of those too) but they can be very fussy and neurotic over ridiculous things .... and are hard work to overcome bad habits if they are anxious about anything.

Protection from the animals :surprise: Wolves, bears, wild boars ? Maybe a shotgun is better. NO NO NO! :|
I have a Polish colleague at work and he say he is amazed at how many wild foxes we have roaming around the town here in the UK. He tells me foxes are rarely seen in Poland and then only in forest areas.

Hope you come to a good choice with the dog question. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,104 Posts
I wouldn't take in a dog, and keep it outside, especially when I needed it to integrate with my kids. Collies and other working breeds require a lot of your time and will freak out if left alone for long periods, as will many other smaller types. We took in a German Shepherd in Hong Kong when my missus woke up to a Chinese Cobra in the garden. Never had another snake after that (except next door) until shortly after we moved out. Had a couple of Shepherds, both great with my girls when they were younger. Sounds like you need something like an Akbash. Happy to sleep all day with one eye open. They are sheep (guarding) dogs, not shepherd dogs like collies.

Reactions: istannbullu34

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,669 Posts
No dog will like being left alone on a regular basis. You could get two to mitigate it a bit.
They are highly social pack animals. I know of three demented BCs and have met a mixed breed diagnosed with ADHD ?! wtf. Common factor in all was owners out all day.
Think of how the mood of a teenager is affected if the smartphone is removed :)
Jack Russells have a good reputation as a snake dog. They have the speed, agility and intelligence. Not every one is good enough and even the good get bitten eventually. There are antidotes for some types of snake venom. Probably not much good if you are away.
I would not rely on a dog to keep snakes away. There is a lot of advice on how to make your garden snake unfriendly, much of it makes it unattractive and sterile.
A Mongoose is not going to be easy to get but snakes are scared sh*tless of big birds and I hear that Turkeys like nothing better than to make a snake's life hell.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,104 Posts

Interesting read. I still remember the snake catcher that the council sent to deal with the cobra next door in Asia. He turned up in shorts and flip-flops and white cotton gloves (everybody wore those, even taxi drivers) with a black bin liner. After a few questions like "what does it look like" and "where did you last see it" he dove into a massive oleander bush and re-appeared with a very large snake which he quickly bagged. Five minutes max. Probably took it home to cook it. A fun day for our neighbours' BBQ. Told us that the smaller snakes can be more of a risk especially those that rely on camouflage for protection. If you approach one of these on a country walk, instead of running away as many larger types would, they will try to hide themselves. The real risk is that you then get too close.

Having said this, our german shepherd never confronted a snake after we brought him home. They simply stayed away. We lived there for five years and never had another one. Within a month of us leaving, the new tenants had a snake in their garden.

Reactions: istannbullu34

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Two dogs don't really cost that more to keep than one dog .. and they are good company for each other. And it doesn't matter if they are of different breeds. Of course as they get old you have double the amount of vet bills if they are prone to health problems.

Wife doesn't want dog in the house :confused: If she is nervous of dogs or just don't like them or is very house-proud (eg no muddy footprints on the floor) then maybe it is not the time to think about getting one especially if you are away from home some days.

The new dog may become good with your child but also think about when other children are in the house. Some dogs are nervous of visitors and children move quickly and tend to shout and scream which can unsettle any dog. Also some dogs can 'play bite' (my Spaniel does) which young children will interpret as an 'attack bite'. Could cause bad feeling with their parents.

The breeds you have mentioned are quite big with big appetites ... which means big poops to pick up each day as well :nerd:. A shovel may be useful :grin2:

A Newfoundland would be lovely but they are big dogs too. Border Collies are fabulous ( I have one of those too) but they can be very fussy and neurotic over ridiculous things .... and are hard work to overcome bad habits if they are anxious about anything.

Protection from the animals :surprise: Wolves, bears, wild boars ? Maybe a shotgun is better. NO NO NO! :|
I have a Polish colleague at work and he say he is amazed at how many wild foxes we have roaming around the town here in the UK. He tells me foxes are rarely seen in Poland and then only in forest areas.

Hope you come to a good choice with the dog question. :smile2:
The problem with keeping the dog inside is about the `clean house`, that will cause problems and long discussions.

There are animals around but not that crazy :) Like I mentioned before, just a good companion who would keep the unwelcomed guests away from the territory is enough. Not looking for some crazy dog to jump on animal that he sees around.

I was cutting the grass today and came along with a snake skin right behind the fence. The neighbor next doors told me that he encountered and killed a few small snakes 2 days ago while he was dealing with the garden. I believe a dog would be a dissuasive fella for them to get close. I get suggestions such as cats, some birds but the only idea fits for me feels like a dog.

I have been looking at Border Collies after Stu mentioned about them, beautiful dogs. I think I might think about getting two, not to leave them alone and stressed, but vet and food bills scare me (Still you need to spend 2x more). The new neighbors next door also think about getting a dog (a fancy golden), we might think about a solution like keeping both together while we are at work. (not sure if the dogs will fancy each other)

For now, I am keen on GS and border collies.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wouldn't take in a dog, and keep it outside, especially when I needed it to integrate with my kids. Collies and other working breeds require a lot of your time and will freak out if left alone for long periods, as will many other smaller types. We took in a German Shepherd in Hong Kong when my missus woke up to a Chinese Cobra in the garden. Never had another snake after that (except next door) until shortly after we moved out. Had a couple of Shepherds, both great with my girls when they were younger. Sounds like you need something like an Akbash. Happy to sleep all day with one eye open. They are sheep (guarding) dogs, not shepherd dogs like collies.
Cobra :surprise::

Pure Akbash and Kangals are found so rare around here and they sell those quite expensive :frown2:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts