Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 98 espace diesel seems awfully loud just after it starts,in the mornings, but gets quieter after about 5 mins, it seems to be a lot louder than my 93 espace 2.1 td, the car has 185k on it but has a good service history and just had an oil change, just wondering if diesel espaces/all diesels are noticabilly louder when cold, or is it just me

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
its you mark lol just joking mate havent noticed this with my 93 tdi but funily enough have noticed it with my skoda felicia 19di maybe its just that car in particular ?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi Mark, I don't know about Espaces in particular - but all engines are louder when cold (just the effects of a fast idle), plus if the oil hasn't warmed up, there may well be less lubrication than is normal.

Is it worse since the service? If so, do you know if the correct viscosity of oil was used?

Paul:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes correct oil was used 10w40 semi synthetic, it does not seem any louder than before the oil change, i have only had the car 3 weeks, trying to get it up together, oil and filters, cambelt and water pump done, just curious if they are meant to sound louder when cold
regards Mark

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
The newer common rail system is much louder than the old mechanical turbo diesel, the bigger the engine the louder it seems too, and more vibration - although I think 98 predates any common rail system.

A cold engine will sound rougher than a warm one, especially as the oil pressure builds and it warms up. The more miles on it the more 'clunky' it'll sound too, but generally speaking if it quietens down within a couple of minutes then there shouldn't be anything to worry about, I'd only be concerned of metallic clunks or rattles getting worse when warm, not when cold, it's normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts