Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Espace 2.0 tubo petrol auto with about 60,000 miles on the clock. It is pretty reliable, never gets hammered or abused but the other day and has just passed its 6 monthly Spanish ITV where they seem to be pretty thorough. I have recently noticed mild clunking when ever I go over a rough bit of road - not as distinct as a knock but more subtle and a little more like a rattle. At first I thought maybe something was parting company underneath but a quick visual found nothing untoward. However I did notice a hot oily smell which I had never noticed before and a few days later when climbing a very steep and windy road in a mountain area the smell seemed to come through the air con vents and was a bit stronger. The car is not using oil and anyway the smell is not like burning oil - but like hot oil a such as you might find in an engineering workshop. Today I drove for several hours on smooth motorway but heard no rattles or clunks but towards the end of the trip there was just a hint of the oily smell again. The smell seems to occur when the outside temp is very hot - i.e. it has been in the low 30s here for a while now but today the temp was down to 25.

I am not using any oil. There are no drips underneath - so could this therefore be an exhaust issue - a joint coming lose or something? but there are no warnings from the computer which I would have expected to show up immediately if there was an exhaust leak. Any clues welcomed.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts