Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i recived a phone call from my little brother who left school last year an has decided he wants to be a mechanic and is currently training his NVQ in some training centre whos name i can remember at the moment,

Basically the telephone call went along the lines of:

(Phone Rings)

Me: Hello

Ian (My brother): Hi Paul its Ian have you got a min to speak we have a problem and my instructor said i could phone you to ask you a question

Me: Sure

Ian: You know the Citroen Picasso

Me: yes, whats up

Ian: Where's the sender unit for the fuel gauge?

Me: You What?

Ian: My instructor is asking if you know where the sender unit is located for the fuel gauge.

Me: If your instructor (Not the same name i called him cleaned for forum content) is asking where the sender unit is he wants (Some Colourful words) sacked and it's located in the petrol tank.

Ian: ok thanks paul, bye

am i right to be cocerned or am i over reacting a little?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Be afraid, be very, very afraid...:eek:

Talk about the blind leading the blind (how can your brother get a good grounding of automotive principles on that basis)?

The old saying can be very true at times;

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

(apologies to all teachers out there who can tell their ar$3 from their elbow).

Paul:)

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
More and more posts these days seem to reflect the views that dealers now use fitters not mechanics, also many parts can no longer be repaired just replaced. It's nice to find some back street mechanic who can actually take things apart and fix the problem rather than saying replace this, that and the other until the problem goes, leaving you light in pocket but unsure of what failed in the 1st place.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Does you brother have an intrest to find out how things work?

A very good college teacher told us that when interviewing a number of candidates, the ones who want to know how things work are the ones to take. Their parents usually say "he used to take things apart to see how they work".;)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The training that the apprentices I have worked with over the last few years has,on the whole,been appalling!.

I worked bl00dy hard to complete my apprenticeship (15 or so years ago:eek:),but now the lad we have at work at the moment spends 4 or 5 hours at college a week,and after 18 months is now a 'Fully Qualified Mechanic'.:eek:.If you want to call yourself a technician,you can stay on for another year and complete that course,then thats it.

As far as I can see,thats complete b0ll0cks.:steam:

Sorry,rant over.....:eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yehh he has an interest in how things with engines work, me ears burn from all the questions every time i see him but if things keep going this way with his training i think i may be having words with some people.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts