Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys.
I have a Laguna hatchback mk2 on a 56 plate which has had both front shocks and coils replaced. Originally the front end was lower than the back and now the new springs has raised the front so its level.
The problem is that now my headlight beam, both main and highbeam are too high. They are supposed to adjust themselfs when they switch on, but dont seem to be working correctly.
So is there a way of resetting the adjustment by doing a combination of button pressing inside the cab ? Or would I need to tweek about with the headlight units ?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Phillip

·
Registered
576 Posts
Do you have xenon lights and self adjustment or normal lights?

Cause if they are normal lights, raising the front end of the car normally raises the beam and manual adjustment is needed, both lamps, adjustment bolt and screwdriver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have xenon lights and self adjustment or normal lights?

Cause if they are normal lights, raising the front end of the car normally raises the beam and manual adjustment is needed, both lamps, adjustment bolt and screwdriver.
When I switch the lights on they auto adjust themselves, you can see them move upwards then go down. But don’t think they are xenon

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
@DarwinUK
The adjustment they do at switch on is only to set them to the position that the switch inside says they should be at, it is NOT to set them to the correct height, that motor movement is independent of the beams being correctly adjusted to start with. You need to adjust them manually on the headlight - I think you set them with the interior switch set to zero, but I'm not sure. (the idea being that if you have a heavy load in the back you can lower them with the switch inside.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@DarwinUK
The adjustment they do at switch on is only to set them to the position that the switch inside says they should be at, it is NOT to set them to the correct height, that motor movement is independent of the beams being correctly adjusted to start with. You need to adjust them manually on the headlight - I think you set them with the interior switch set to zero, but I'm not sure. (the idea being that if you have a heavy load in the back you can lower them with the switch inside.)
Thankyou for that. I thought there should be a switch inside. Will look for it. The place I assume it would be is for the dashboard brightness.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,199 Posts
NO switch inside the levelling unit is on the front ( Right side ) wishbone as you look from the front of the car. (area you have just had suspension changed)
If they still both move when you switch the lights on, then its adjust from the under the bonnet via the headlight units

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
@ours2012
I was referring to the dial on the inside (I called it a switch) which you can lower the headlights, I assumed OP would have similar on the vehicle. Perhaps not? It amounts to the same answer anyway, the levelling has to be done mechanically on the headlights but if that knob does exist it should be set to 0 before levelling.

·
38,199 Posts
NO switch inside HIS car ( I have the same car, )
Those with levelling devices on the wishbone dont have a switch
( I had to have mine adjusted every MOT with tool kit OUT to pass the MOT
Then call on the Monday, put kit back in, and adjust headlights LOL)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Auto adjusting lights do not have option for driver to adjust hight of the beam. As the car gets lower when loaded, computer adjusts headlights settings via motors in each headlight.

These systems do have a bolt for hight adjustment in case something changed, like suspension, tyres, new headlamp or after the collision. Should be done with a scope that shows light pattern.
In case something was changed in electrical part, around level sensors or even after the battery change sometimes, there is a procedure to "zero" the sensors and lights, to reboot them.

But as Darwin had only suspension work done, no need for that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
That is a job to be done with Renault diagnostics.
Best I can offer is a pic of the system

sensor.jpg

And a light pattern for low and high beam

light pattern.jpg

·
38,199 Posts
That is a job to be done with Renault diagnostics.
Best I can offer is a pic of the system

View attachment 192378

And a light pattern for low and high beam

View attachment 192377
NO any MOT station with beam setting equipment can set these
There are screws to adjust headlights on the headlights ,
I had to do this on the laguna for the 4 years I drove it.
AND never once connected Clip, or any other interface I have, to adjust them
if a new adjusting motor is fitted to the headlight, the procedure is thus
Fit new unit, turn adjusting screw 6 full turns Clockwise , now put on Beam tester And set headlight beam

·
Registered
576 Posts
That's different.

I am talking about adjusting the central position of the headlight motors for every Renault with self-adjusting lights.

Podes.jpg
Your description is about adjusting mirror position in the headlight.
These are two different adjustments. On the left side procedure for diagnostics adjustment, on the right side two bolts for manual adjustment.
You can't do google translation on jpeg, I can send you complete pfd.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
This is interesting
Logic tells me there is no feedback from the lights to the sensor on the wishbone, so IF???(that's THE question) the sensor position is fixed on the wishbone (with the car unladen), surely you would then mechanically adjust the lamps to make them correct, and the sensor would take care of any deflection thereafter. BUT what you might have to do is adjust some sort of trim setting to define the sensor is in the central position when unladen because the sensors may have a tolerance. You would have to mechanically deflect the sensor from one end to the other to tell the computer those were the extremes?
Is that what we are talking about here?
On the other hand the sensors may be so alike that in most cases it isn't necessary to recalibrate.
Pure speculation on my part.

·
38,199 Posts
That's different.

I am talking about adjusting the central position of the headlight motors for every Renault with self-adjusting lights.

View attachment 192382
Your description is about adjusting mirror position in the headlight.
These are two different adjustments. On the left side procedure for diagnostics adjustment, on the right side two bolts for manual adjustment.
You can't do google translation on jpeg, I can send you complete pfd.
I have all the INFO here ,
AND I can assure you diagnostics is not needed

·
Registered
576 Posts
What I said up there is from Renault manual.
And they claim that adjustment of the motor is needed every time some work has been done.
First that, then manual adjustment with bolts.

Take a look.
"Kalibriranje racunalnika" (in bold) means calibration of the computer governing motors that are raising and lowering the beam. That way you can center the position of a motor, allowing it to swing the beam both up and down. If motor would be in max down position with car unloaded and on flat surface, it can not lower the beam any more and any load in the car would mean that you will be blinding the opposing traffic.

So first centering the motors, then manual adjustment of beam, hight with bolt D, direction with bolt E.

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,039 Posts
What I said up there is from Renault manual.
And they claim that adjustment of the motor is needed every time some work has been done.
First that, then manual adjustment with bolts.

Take a look.
"Kalibriranje racunalnika" (in bold) means calibration of the computer governing motors that are raising and lowering the beam. That way you can center the position of a motor, allowing it to swing the beam both up and down. If motor would be in max down position with car unloaded and on flat surface, it can not lower the beam any more and any load in the car would mean that you will be blinding the opposing traffic.

So first centering the motors, then manual adjustment of beam, hight with bolt D, direction with bolt E.
No offence intended, and he can defend himself, but please don't contradict ours2012, he's an experienced mechanic and invariably right. You can quote from manuals all you like but he is quoting from real life and actually owned the same car.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
@spacecadet
Did you read my post above? I think it covers both scenarios (haha I'm putting my peacekeeping hat on from bitter experience, my bottom is still sore)
It may well be the theory says you need to recalibrate, but in actual practice there's no point in wasting time as it works without (until you get a replacement sensor that's on the edge of spec?)
Or it could be different for different locations.

·
Registered
576 Posts
No offence intended, and he can defend himself, but please don't contradict ours2012, he's an experienced mechanic and invariably right. You can quote from manuals all you like but he is quoting from real life and actually owned the same car.
Well, this time he is wrong.
Let me show you an example as this will be my last post here.
By the way, I also own a car like that as Espace IV is built on Laguna II chassis and suspension, they share engines, gearboxes, fuel supply....
I never had my lamps calibrated but I can sure see the difference if something gets done on suspension.

By the book, any major job on fuel or air supply systems requires recalibration of Idle Air Control valve which is responsible for engine idle speed.
But that particular procedure can be neglected as the system will eventually recalibrate itself after few days of driving.

With auto headlight adjustment that is not the case.
If not touched, after 20 years every car with self adjustment system will have same setting as when it was released from factory. That system does not even have the possibility to "know" whether light beam is too low or too high. It will keep "zero" setting from factory forever.

One of the topics here was Laguna owner complaining about visible rubbing on engine mount (in fact front frame mount). That came from lower suspension after years of use, both Laguna II and Espace IV are notoriously known for that as they share all elements of suspension.
Owner fixed that by installing new shock absorbers and springs, meaning that the whole car was lower then new, it had lower ground clearance.

Let us assume that clearance is 2 cm lower and...
Owner has a set of winter tires 195/65/15 and set of summer tires 235/35/19
Summer tire is 648 mm high and winter tire is 635 mm high.
All together, lower clearance and winter setup means that beam of light is 33 mm lower then on a new car as bulb is also 33 mm lower, closer to the ground.

Low beam on a car should reach 80 meters.
With this setup driver of Laguna can expect about 5% shorter light on the road.
Sweet spot of light is about 40 m in front of the car, laguna driver will have this spot on 38 meters.
May not sound that bad but in a opposite scenario, low beam would hit into the eyes of the drivers form opposite direction and there is no way to lower it, driver has no means to lower the beam manually.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Few corrections.

Difference in hight of the wheel, 648 to 635 mm is 15 mm but only 7,5 mm less clearance.
But also, headlamp bulb on my Espace is 280 mm above ground, on Laguna even lower.

Whole car is 27,5 mm lower to the ground means that I would lose 10% of the reach of my headlighs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts