Independent Renault Forums banner

Auto Wipers Fault

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  madnoel10 
#1 ·
Morning folks.

Just left for work this morning (it was -5 outside) and when I turned on the wipers it came up saying auto wipers fault & the service light came on.

Considering the damn thing only had it's MOT on Friday 16th, I'm pretty livid!
(#@*$ing dealer charged me £90 for front brake pads!)

Is this a common thing, because of the cold, etc?

I'm seriously at the end of my rope with this car - had nothing but bother since December & lucky me - the warranty runs out tomorrow!

#2 ·
Were the wipers "stuck" to the windscreen with frost?
If they were the wipers probably tried to operate and caused a malfunction.

With earlier versions the wipers have to be switched off every time - to avoid problems like this when you get back in the car to start the engine. With the facelift meganes you can leave the wiper stalk in the auto position permanantly - I presume it has different software that stops them trying to operate when frozen to the screen.

It may have been down to the temperature. The sensor probably had ice over it anyway. Have you tried them again after cleaning the windscreen area by the sensor and now it has warmed up a bit?

#3 ·
Frozen Wipers - It's cold outside

Hi Brody, Did you de-ice the wipers and windscreen first – If not you could have damaged the blades never mind the wiper motor refusing to work. Many modern cars have a cut-out device to prevent damage to the motor and associated linkage, etc. I note your comment about you car just being MOT’d – but I can’t see what relevance that has with the wipers. After all an MOT purely relates to a test an examination of the vehicle and not a comprehensive service of the vehicle. The last time I checked MOT’s did not involve preventative maintenance.:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.