Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just bought a 2006 Scenic dynamique for my wife which she already loves and I have one question about auto wipers.

I have put the stalk in position 1, but they only appear to work when the ring is moved to the largest of the raindrop icons and then it only moves once until the ring is moved to a smaller icon then back again. The wipers work fine when in postion 2 and 3

I have also noticed that the windscreen trim at the top passenger corner is not correctly fitted making me suspect that a new windscreen has been put in, is it possible that the rain sensor is out of postion and is there a way to check this

thanks for any comments

·
Stockport Platinum
3,899 Posts
I don't have any experience in your situation but if the windscreen has been replaced their shouldn't have been any need to remove the trim but finding the trim has been disturbed could mean it's been taken off at some point to remove the battery but shouldn't affect the sensor but my thoughts are the stalk could be at fault as it works on the other settings .

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
It is common for windscreen fitters not to replace the sensor when the new glass is fitted as insurance cover is for the windscreen only, if you look at the sensor from the outside it should appear totally black apart from the optic lens, what happens when the sensor is removed it leaves the gel pack on the old glass and this is not or was not available on it's own.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
The trim not fitting is a common problem on scenics.
As for the sensor throw some water onto the windscreen to see if it is operating correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I am starting to suspect the rain sensor itself, I have looked at it from the outside and it looks fine, my suspisions about a replacement screen comes from the miss-fitting trim which seems to be a common problem, but also the make is centurion whilst all the other glass is etched Renault.
I have turned on the auto wipers and poured water on the sensor and nothing happens, I have looked on ebay and it seems easy enough to get replacements including the gell pack. I assume that this sensor also operates the auto headlights (which work fine)

thanks for any comment

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
AFAIK the auto lights do use the same sensors, the sensors measure light thats deflected I think via water droplets for the wipers. where as the lights just measure ambient light.

If the sensors are stuck incorrectly this could stop the sensors detecting the deflected light, but they could still pick up ambient light correctly.

Of course this could all be rubbish but I am sure thats what i've read somewhere :confused:

·
Registered
68 Posts
its the gel pack that does the job. when you get the new one just unclip the old from sensor clip new one in make sure screen is clean as you get one hit at it as gel will stick to screen.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
i didnt think the dynamique comes with auto lights and wipers (i know mine doesnt on a 57plate dynamic scenic)

on the tip of the indicator stalk does it say auto? if it doesnt then it doesnt have them!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments, it does has auto headlights, it has the auto button on the end of the stalk and they do work

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem, got a new gel case from Renault for about £15. You re-use the same sensor. But my sensor doesnt look al black from the outside, and isnt stuck properly to the windscreen, and the wipers don't work properly on auto. For anyone's information, auto lights and wipers were always standard on a dynamique until the 07 facelift when the got cruise control instead..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, as others have said your wipers will not work as you have had the screen replaced at some point. their is a very simple fix, remove sensor from widscreen, cover thickly in KY jelly! (i promise) and put back. make sure stalk is in 1st position, start car, move stalk into position 2 and it will work. Do not get fooled into buying a new unit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comment.
I have also changed the sensor case with no luck, in fact it looks like it is only stuck on at the edges as when the sensor case is removed all the gel is still on the case and un-touched. I am starting to think that the arc of the screen is slightly differant to the original renault one leaving an air pocket between the screen and the sensor case

I have taken the gel off the original case and fiilled it with clear silicon with a domed profile to see if this works better. I will keep you informed if this works

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah try it, but you have to have the gap between sensor and windscreen is packed full of gel, make sure no airbubbles, KY jelly works well because because it is water based.

·
Registered
38 Posts
my car is the same very hard to understand the way it works,i have just started to tap it down when its in position 1 ever so lightly,mine could be loose connection.still trying to sort it out, did you try the handbook,i do not have one yet got one on ebay?

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Do you reckon the KY Jelly trick will work for me? Neither the autolight or the autowipers work (the wipers work everytime the speed 'raindrop' is increased but for a single wipe only). Tried a new case / jelly, but as the original poster, the screen has been replaced and I don't think the jelly is actually making any contact with the screen (and I'm scared to push any harder in case I break the screen!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you activated the auto lights?, you have to hold the button on the left hand stalk (says auto on the end) for a couple of seconds then the message on dash board says "auto lights activated" - As far as the auto wipers are concerned the KY jelly trick cant hurt, try it with the old case rather than spoil your new one. good luck!!

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Hi, yes I get no response from the stalk's 'auto' button whatsoever (but operating the wipers / headlights manually does work).

KY Jelly... will it stick? lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts