Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a Renault Clio Sport Tourer with automatic headlights. Always, when I park up with automatic headlights activated, the lights go off once I have killed the engine, walked away and locked the car. For some reason, with automatic headlights still activated, my wife has used my car twice in the last three months and on both occasions the lights have not automatically switched off, completely draining the battery. She leaves the auto lights function on, walks away and locks the car, same as me.

I did wonder if the lights were somehow linked to the handbrake and she does not pull it up far enough? It is the only difference I can see, as she tends to not pull the handbrake as tight as I do. Any other theories welcome.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
This has happened to us, but again not every time.
I think the electrical systems get confused. On ours, stopping the engine, with the doors still locked, doesn't switch off the lights (the light switch is permanently in the "on" position). But when I open the doors, the locks all pop open and the lights go off (so does the 12v socket which powers a camera). It also gets confused with the difference between the key being in the key slot and the key being in a pocket for the whole journey. Do you have the auto-locking enabled?
We fixed it by necessarily resetting everything (because the battery was replaced).
So, long press the left stalk to deactivate/unset the auto-lights function. Wait for the display to return to the mileage.
Long press it again to re-activate. Again wait for the display to return to the mileage.
If that doesn't do it then de-activate again, then disconnect the battery, re-connect after 10 minutes and be ready with the radio code and the clock time. Then re-activate the auto-lights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ClioAutomatic, thank you for your response. Well after it happened the first time I had the battery replaced, as it was already six years old. Now it has happened with the new battery. I will try what you have suggested with the auto-lights reset and se how it goes. The annoying thing is that since it happens so rarely, it is difficult to check that anything I do works. I will post any updates on here. Thank you again :)

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,465 Posts
So this only happens with Auto lights switched on

What happens when auto lights are deactivated via the stalk/switch
Everything working ok, aside from the auto lights
Sounds like the stalk is starting to play up ( Clio 3 by any chance )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So this only happens with Auto lights switched on

What happens when auto lights are deactivated via the stalk/switch
Everything working ok, aside from the auto lights
Sounds like the stalk is starting to play up ( Clio 3 by any chance )
Honestly this has never happened after I have been driving, in 5 years of owning the car. Both times I have had this problem my wife had been driving my car, which she almost never does. This is what makes me think there must be some element of human error, but I cannot figure out what on earth she could have done differently. It is a Clio Sport Tourer. The first time it happened was in March, and the second was this week in June (with the new battery).

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,465 Posts
Only happens to the wife
IS this what your saying?
Is it a MK 3 (Sports Tourer mans nowt to me )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts