Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Clio e-tech Hybrid, which switches automatically between electric and engine power.
However, there is also an EV button on the dash which sometimes allows me to switch the car to electric even if it under engine power. Also, sometimes when I press this button I get the message “EV not available”.
My question is, if switching is supposed to be automatic, how is it that I can often manually switch to EV by pressing the button? Shouldn’t this have been done automatically by the car?
I am in Spain and my Spanish is not too good, therefore I have been unable to ask this question by telephone to the dealership and make my query understood.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I would guess it's all down to the power left in the battery, and the "clever" computer control of power source to protect the battery, with the EV button being a way of forcing EV for a longer time and using more of the battery power, say in slow commuter traffic.

No EV here, but my petrol car with stop/start doesn't always stop at lights and when it doesn't it shows "optimising battery", again my guess being that is to protect the battery.

Just my guesses though! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,912 Posts
E-GUIDE.RENAULT.COM / Clio-5 / E-TECH Hybrid / Index

Would an English version of the Owners Manual help?
Free download from Renault.

This is in section on Hybrid Operation
"When the hybrid system is using the combustion engine and/or the electric motor to power the vehicle movement, it is possible to manually switch to all-electric mode.

This mode can be accessed if:
  • the traction battery is sufficiently charged;
  • the vehicle speed is below approximately 30 mph (50 km/h)."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
E-GUIDE.RENAULT.COM / Clio-5 / E-TECH Hybrid / Index

Would an English version of the Owners Manual help?
Free download from Renault.

This is in section on Hybrid Operation
"When the hybrid system is using the combustion engine and/or the electric motor to power the vehicle movement, it is possible to manually switch to all-electric mode.

This mode can be accessed if:
  • the traction battery is sufficiently charged;
  • the vehicle speed is below approximately 30 mph (50 km/h)."
I would guess it's all down to the power left in the battery, and the "clever" computer control of power source to protect the battery, with the EV button being a way of forcing EV for a longer time and using more of the battery power, say in slow commuter traffic.

No EV here, but my petrol car with stop/start doesn't always stop at lights and when it doesn't it shows "optimising battery", again my guess being that is to protect the battery.

Just my guesses though! :rolleyes:
Thanks for that. Appreciated.

·
Registered
Clio E Tech RS Line
18 Posts
I have the RS Line E Tech and it works just like yours. I use the EV button in town traffic (under 30mph) it will shut the ICE off and drive on battery power as long as the battery has suffcient charge. I'm still getting used to hybrid driving but found driving in "B" brake regen mode keeps the battery at half capacity usually all the time. In fact ive never seen the battery go below half power yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, yes I drive in B mode. Just confused why I could switch EV on via the switch when I believed it was all done automatically.
Thanks again.

·
24,912 Posts
Just confused why I could switch EV on via the switch when I believed it was all done automatically.
Isn't that a little like why does an automatic vehicle still have the option to change gears manually?
The vehicle can and should sort it all out for best performance, economy, power, battery state etc but when you are trying to sneak in home at 3am without the engine noise, being able to select EV only may be a blessing.
Yellow Font Circle Symmetry Grass

On another bit that I picked up in the owners manual.
Regenerative braking seems to be switched off when battery is fully charged.
I've not a clue how much brake force is applied by the regeneration but being as Renault put in a warning that brake force would be lower, would this be enough to lead to an "Oh Sh*t" moment with sudden, harder press on the pedal being needed??
Or isn't it enough to make a difference and Renault are simply warning to offset any possible legal claims?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point. It was just that I was surprised when driving with engine power that I could press a button and get EV power manually. Just thought it would always be an automatic thing.
Thanks.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,246 Posts
Good point. It was just that I was surprised when driving with engine power that I could press a button and get EV power manually. Just thought it would always be an automatic thing.
Thanks.
Could it also be a function for driving in ultra low emission zones? The next step governments will be making is Electric-only zones ... for both emissions and noise pollution. Maybe your car is future-proofed. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe that is the reason, thanks. But it is not always possible to manually switch to EV. Sometimes I am driving along and I can hear I am using the engine. I press the EV button and it switches to electric or tells me EV is not available. If it’s available and I can switch it on, why doesn’t the car do it automatically?

·
24,912 Posts
If it’s available and I can switch it on, why doesn’t the car do it automatically?
Because the system reckons that not switching it to EV is best for driving style, driving mode selection, conditions etc etc.
There will be algorithms within the software that chooses "best" power system but please don't ask me what they are using cos while I could guess, it would be a guess

·
Premium Member
Clio Mk IV 1.5 dCi MediaNav S/S 2013
3,887 Posts
It might even ‘learn’ your style of driving and adjust over time.

·
Registered
Clio E Tech RS Line
18 Posts
Isn't that a little like why does an automatic vehicle still have the option to change gears manually?
The vehicle can and should sort it all out for best performance, economy, power, battery state etc but when you are trying to sneak in home at 3am without the engine noise, being able to select EV only may be a blessing.
View attachment 197905

On another bit that I picked up in the owners manual.
Regenerative braking seems to be switched off when battery is fully charged.
I've not a clue how much brake force is applied by the regeneration but being as Renault put in a warning that brake force would be lower, would this be enough to lead to an "Oh Sh*t" moment with sudden, harder press on the pedal being needed??
Or isn't it enough to make a difference and Renault are simply warning to offset any possible legal claims?
Regen "B" mode is a subtle braking very smooth tbh. I have only had to intervene once up to now with the brake pedal due to a driver crossing lanes in front of me without looking in their mirror. It's definately a harder application that is required during an incident like this and a learning curve for me. I hope others take note.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts