Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently noticed a persitent squealing noise whilst driving my Trafic 1.9 dci (75000 miles) with the window wound down. About a month ago (2 thousand miles ago) I had the cambelt, cambelt tensioner and aux belt changed by a local. I can't say I noticed the noise before or immediately after the belt changes, but at some point since it has become noticeable and is now getting more persistant.

It sounds like speeded up bird chirping, it almost always starts above 1200 rpm whilst there is a load on the engine (ie driving), and disappears at about 2000 rpm, but the noise is less frequent if the engine revs are held with the cutch depresssed, and the noise almost always disappears at idle. The engine being hot or cold makes no difference.

I believe it to be aux belt related because a couple of ours ago I removed the aux belt and went on a test drive, and the noise dissapeared completely.
The belt is automatically tensioned so there is no way of tightening it further, and I have checked that it is seated correctly (indeed I have removed and replaced it a couple of times tonight to test for the noise).

I am wondering if this noise description sound more like the bearings in something have failed rather than the belt being faulty / damaged? I did notice after having driven a short distance with no power steering (aux belt removed), the power steering pump seemed to strain the engine more once the aux belt was back on the vehicle. This may disappear tomorrow though.
The only things being driven by the aux belt are the alternator and steering pump, is there any way of checking if bearings are worn in either of these, or perhaps in the tensioner idler or crank pully?

Many thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi i was going to say change the belt to see if that helps for all the price of a belt and while it is off check all pulleys that it rides on to see if there is any play in them and check all bolts are all tight,i wish i could help more all the best Donald

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help guys,

I have drvien about 50 miles this morning and the power steering is still rougher, cousing the engine to 'dip' more when steering.
Is it bad to steer the vehicle without the pump running (as I did when the belt was removed)? Perhaps it now needs bleeding?

As for the belt, I'm not sure how to re-tension it? the tensioner presses onto the belt under its own force, the only 'adjustment' that can be made is to temporarily release the tension to remove the belt. Am I missing something that would enable me to add more force onto the tensioner?

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts