Independent Renault Forums banner

Axle Stands - Megane II Sport Tourer

19K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  VelSatisfied 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I need to remove my under-engine splash guard and front bumper, in order to do some work to the front end.

I have a pair of axle stands, a trolley jack and of course the little stupid standard jack in the boot.

I want to (ideally) put the car on the axle stands at the front so that the car is held up nice and safe so I can get under it to remove parts & do the work, without the risk of being crushed by my own pride and joy.

Can anybody advise, whereabouts under the car to place the axle stands? I'm not sure if I can actually use them as there seems to be nowhere to put them :(

Thanks,
Andy

#2 ·
Hi Andy.

You will probably have to remove the front wheels for the stands to be located. I would place them under the steering arm (usually has holes in it, handy for locating the stands), as close to the hub as its possible, to keep the weight in the area its used to.

If you want extra reassurance, you can keep the jacks in place, once the axle stands are under load.

HTH

Paul

#3 ·
Thanks Paul, what do you mean about the holes? Is that just a way of finding the steering arms? (I'm not sure which part's which - there's a few linkages & arms under there!)

Also, I've just had one steering arm replaced, there's no risk of damaging them by doing this, is there?

Cheers again,
Andy

#4 ·
The steering arms will be the stoutest looking pieces of metal down there. Some manufacturers have holes, some don't (I can't remember if Renaults do or not, sorry).

In any case, the head of the axle stand should be placed as close to the hub (at the lowest point) as its possible to achieve, and the car raised only as high as is necessary (the higher you lift, the less stable it becomes).

There should not be any damage caused, if the car is supported correctly.

HTH

Paul

G
#5 ·
Every one has their way of doing things and this is mine on how to jack up the front of a Scenic the Megane shouldn't be much different.

There isn't any where strong enough to jack the front of a Megane / Scenic up centrally unless you jack up on the sump which IMO isn’t a good idea. Because of the profile of the front sub frame there isn’t any where that flat to place a jack without bending / damaging something or possibly the car moving / sliding on the jack so I spread the load with a piece of wood anything uneven or raised sticks in the wod and stops any movement. It’s similar with the axel stands there isn't any where really wide enough to safley place them so again I use wood it saves damaging the sub frame and spreads the load. Make sure the car is stable before going under it!!

On the jack I use a piece of wood 4" X 2" and pieces of 2" X 2" on the axle stands.

It’s better to jack from either at the same time but if you only have one jack and your careful it’s okay to do one side at a time and do it in several stages depending on how high you want the car. If you need the car really high then it's best to raise the whole car on four axle stands and obviously working off a hard level surface.

I know there are jacking points on the car body work but they aren’t as strong as the sub frame.

So hand brake on / chock the rear wheels and you might need to lift the car slightly with another jack to get trolley jack under the car.

#9 ·
Every one has their way of doing things and this is mine on how to jack up the front of a Scenic the Megane shouldn't be much different....
Thanks for the advice, the pics really helped!

I'll see if I can get a similar point underneath to put the stands...

My trolley jack is low enough to get under the car but the handle is at quite an angle so I'll have to see if it works! :) - this is my trolley jack:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_217059_langId_-1_categoryId_165727

And axle stands:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_215964_langId_-1_categoryId_165727

Cheers,
Andy

G
#12 ·
If you are really uncomfortable with using stands, machine mart have a set of ramps for £24; http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/car-ramps-cr2

Paul
I've got 2 sets I don't mind driving off them but driving on to them can be a bit hairy if they slide! :eek: If you don't have a competent assistant helping so I usually end up jacking the car up and then putting them under.

No, just drive very steadily up them.

Someone guiding you is always useful, especially as you level off, and get near the bump stops.

Paul
:iagree: Had a mate of mine round with his Laguna last week and we used the ramps to get the car up of the deck so he could get to the TDC sensor. I had to stop one from sliding!:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.