Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
22,420 Posts
Possibly partially seized caliper piston..also in this wet weather we have been having oxidation takes place between the disc and pad and then they can stick..has the car been standing for some time..?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only use the car at weekends,it has a electric hand brake but its saying on dash handbrake is off when I move off could that be the issue?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,514 Posts
Get someone to operate the EPB manually (from dashboard) while you look at the cable and lever movements on the rear calipers.
Are the levers returning fully to the stop when EPB off?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have found the problem the EPB was sticking near the caliper I have released it but when I put the EPB back on it wont release again, can this be fixed or is it a replacement EPB

·
22,514 Posts
Explain more please?

That age of Scenic has replaceable secondary cables (the ones that go to the caliper).
I suspect that these are jamming.
Bit of a faff changing them but easily doable for someone handy with spanners.
Not the cheapest as AFAIK only Renault supply (last time I looked was about £40 for the pair)
But far and away cheaper then a new EPB or repairing one.

It could also be the caliper lever jamming.... hence more info needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a 1.9 2006 model I have wiggled the ball at the end of the cable near the caliper to release it but then sticks back on

·
22,514 Posts
Yeah but any idea whether it was the cable or lever sticking?
Can you move the lever by hand (with EPB off) and see it snap back when released?
Same with cable, when EPB off, can you pull it and feel it release?

Don't want to point you in one direction when it is the other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had some 1 in the driver's seat releaseing hand brake an I was looking at the back brakes 1 of the lever was moving an the other 1 wasnt

·
22,514 Posts
Okay, if it is definitely the lever, could be a simple job.

Release the EPB manually, holding the lever/switch to drive it full open.
Just flicking it only releases the EPB enough to release the calipers.
May then have enough slack in the cable to disconnect it from the lever but as long as enough to move the lever, it is enough.
A good penetrating oil, WD40 otherwise and give the lever stem (where it enters the caliper) plenty.
Operate the lever by hand/pliers, keep squirting, should loosen it up so it is easy to move and returns itself happily.
Final squirt with a silicon oil (or penetrating oil with silicon) to give some lasting lubrication.
Pump footbrake to ensure pads are forward before trying handbrake again.

One thing I do not know is what type of return spring you will have.
Three options are possible.
External spring between lever and a fixed lug on the caliper.
Internal return spring with no fixed lug.
Internal return spring and a fixed lug.
Try to work out which you have, if a fixed lug with no visible return spring, it may be that the spring has fallen off and needs a new one.
You can tell when operating if there is an internal spring... as long as the lever is free to move.

If that doesn't work and the lever is still jamming, it may mean a strip down of the caliper or even a new (recon) one but it usually works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have released the leaver now its retracting now, but just 1 more problem it wont release automatically I have to do it manually from inside the car ?

·
22,514 Posts
Bleah…….
Check the clutch pedal.
You should find that there are three switches.
One top, one bottom and one in the middle with a long lever arm.
That is the one that reads clutch position and, along with throttle, slope and the like, tells the EPB to release.
And is easily kicked and displaced. Which may have happened with you or mate jumping in and out the thing operating the manual bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts