Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have been advised at MOT that i need to replace my ball joint dust cover (failed MOT on damaged cover). At first the garage (dealer) said i needed to replace the whole arm (£296) but i challenged that and got it down to just £138 for just the replacement of the ball joint itself with the cover
it is 2011 Grand Scenic Diesel.
Can the dust cover be replaced on its own or does the ball joint need to be replaced with the cover?
regards
Mike

·
Premium Member
6,812 Posts
hi, yes generic track rod /tie rod boots are available individually, fitted two today on my Austin for same reason £1.75 each from my local auto factor. They come in different sizes. They came with two metal clips each to hold them in place found circlip pliers made fitting these easier. Took me just over two hours but I did grease all my other steering joints at same time whilst I was under there - they are not the sealed for life type.
Hope this helps

Al

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
It also depends on for how long the dust cover has been missing. If for any length of time the innards are bound to be contaminated with water, grit, etc.

If you are going to pay a garage to fit a new cover only, you may find the labour costs may be similar to that of fitting a new joint. So in the long run it may be prudent just to fit a new joint.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
It also depends on for how long the dust cover has been missing. If for any length of time the innards are bound to be contaminated with water, grit, etc.

If you are going to pay a garage to fit a new cover only, you may find the labour costs may be similar to that of fitting a new joint. So in the long run it may be prudent just to fit a new joint.
My thoughts exactly,if the cover has failed the rest of the suspension arm will be in the same condition.New arms can be picked up cheaply and easier to fit than replacing joints etc

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
My thoughts exactly,if the cover has failed the rest of the suspension arm will be in the same condition.New arms can be picked up cheaply and easier to fit than replacing joints etc
Would definitely agree there, whilst not ball joints i did try to replace the bushes on my now deceased Fiat. Got it done but my god never again, ill always just buy complete wishbones from now on. Just not worth the hassle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts