Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon going to collect girls from school, there was a clunk from the front drivers side of the car and the next instant I'm lurching across the road towards an oncoming mini and a wall. Somehow got it back on my side and stopped. Jacked up and found that one of the 2 bolts holding the bottom ball joint had come out and the swivel hub had swiveled cuusing the wheel to hit the arch and twist under as well. Scared the ¤¤¤¤ out of me, but lucky I was going slow at the time. Anyway managed to get a spare bolt and sorted the problem. Realised after I had heard a clunk for a couple of days but had put it down to the wheel bearing that I still have to change.

The moral is if you have a clunk check it out. If I had been on the m-way who knows what would have happened.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Jeez Chris, Makes me shiver just thinking about it, You always seem to be having episodes in cars .. A fire once I think you said and an incident on a motoway with an Ford.

Hope all is well now, Glad you are safe to continue the assistance you offer on the Forums .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Yes the roads are horrific, they are quite bad uo here but the further south you go the worse it gets, One off the roads in your area was named the worst in Britain.

Glad you are OK tho and live to tell the tale. Just as well the kids were not in the car eh, They would have got a right fright.

Regards

ottoman /COLOR]

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Warning on ball Joint

Once a ball joint becomes displaced as yours obvously did I would take great care. If one popped out (or did it break) all the weight of the car was transferred to the one remaining which no doubt willl have suffered some undue stress - wonder when it will break The bolts used to retain ball-joints are not your common or garden variety - they are designed to take quite a bit of vibration and shock and not fail or crack. Additionally I'm sure the ball joint itself has undergone unusual stresses and also the suspension arm to which it is fitted. Also did you fit the bolt the right way round - usually the bolt is fitted downwards so if the nut falls off the bolt can't immedately drop out - fitted this way it would give you some giving you some warning! If it were mine I would replace both the ball-joint and the lower suspension arm. Remember if you are not interested in your own safety please spare a thought for us poor motorists who may just happen to be unfortunate enough to share the same road as yourself.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
After reading Madnoel probably sh*****g yourself and checking absolutely everything to do with, or in the vicinity of the ball joint.
Is that near the scrotum?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts