Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2005 Renault Master that needs the passenger side, Upper Ball Joint replacing.

I’ve had a variety of quotes (£350, £250, £120 > Mobile replacement), though from what I can see, it’s not a hard job (I had both hubs off recently, so that part should be easier this time) and can be carried out without removing the arm, with the right tools.

I don’t have those tools.

I’m thinking of buying a Ball Joint Remover similar to this and then selling it on:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Master-Front-Upper-Lower-Ball-Joint-Press-Bush-Removal-Install-Tool-Set/263390611035?hash=item3d534dc65b:g:968AAOSw4DJYj8~T

Has anyone had any success with something like this? Is the Hydraulic version really that much better? This one seems better than the C shaped variety?

From what I understand. Cleaning the joints off thoroughly and lubing them a day or two before will help.
If all goes well, I’m thinking I’ll replace all 4 ball joints and save myself this hassle in the future.

I’ve tried finding somewhere to just Hire the tool, but auto tool hire in my area (Oxfordshire) doesn’t seem to be a thing.

———

Before someone says “Just take off the arm and press it out with a shop press” or “Just replace the arm, it’s easier”. I’ll be doing this on the road outside of my house and I don’t feel comfortable being under the van when it’s on jacks. The last few bolts I’ve tried to remove have required a stupid amount of force and I don’t fancy being under the van trying to remove the hinge pin when it decide to flatten me.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,701 Posts
.......... I’ll be doing this on the road outside of my house and I don’t feel comfortable being under the van when it’s on jacks. .........
Can't help on the Cntrol arm except to check condition of bushes where it attaches to body.
No point in replacing ball joint alone if they are shot.

Re working on jacks...don't.
Invest in some decent axle stands and use them.
These for instance... 3 tonne each.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the bushes tip. I'll have a look tomorrow before I order any tools.

And sorry for the confusion, I meant axle stands. I've already got two from when I did the wheel bearings a few months back.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,701 Posts
I had similar on my Kia recently.
Lower ball joint shot, when I removed the arm, the bush at the far end wasn't much better.
Made it a no brainer to replace the complete arm, just had to shop about for best price....think I got 50% on a weekend deal at ECP.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,780 Posts
These are bad enough to change when off the car, never mind on..
Sounds like a good investment to me, Just keep the Tool, until you have sold the van..
Lots of factors, do you live in the second worst area for Pot holes, ( we are first )
Are the ball joints you are buying good quality, and not a chance of knowing this anymore, As more rubbish out there than decent .. Even quality name brands.. Ball joints are not made how they used to be..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update,

All done!

It was an absolute piece of cake with the tool I mentioned above, a decent breaker bar and some elbow grease (I'm not a big guy at all).

If anyone is thinking of doing this I can recommend the above tool. Just use plenty of grease on the thread and have a lump hammer at hand to tap the sides of the wishbone as you're pressing the old ones out.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts