Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Bought a Renault Megane 1997 Diesel Turbo RXE about three weeks ago. the fella i bought it off (a mechanic) said that the glow plugs needing replacing at some point but as it started ok it wasn't a major issue. for what i paid for it, it was a good deal.

anyway, i went out and got some glow plugs and replaced them yesterday......didn't quite go as planned. basically it turned over but didn't start when i put the new ones in. i put the original ones back in today and when i turn over, because of all the turning over it's had this weekend, the battery doesn't give as much as it should and doesn't start. this means i can't even see if the original plugs worked!

i then got hold of my dad's battery charger to give it a good boost and check everything is ok but (and i apologise in advance if this is a dumb question!) i cannot get the battery disconnected and out without the alarm going off!! as soon as i turn the spanner it goes off! the neighbours think i'm nicking my own car!! :-(

is there a simple way of disconnecting the battery to take it out without the alarm going off?

many thanks in advance - please help me before i pull all my hair out!!!

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi the glow plugs should be working if there new but from time to time there may be some that are faulty but i guess is it maybe because the battery needs charged,i would of thought that once you get the battery disconnected at both terminals it should stop and if it does not you will need to find out where the alarm box is and disconnect it i hope this helps Donald

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank yuo for the prompt reply Donald

i may just put the ear muffs on and disconnect the battery with the alarm going off - stuff the neighbours! :d if that doesn't work, i have no idea where the alarm box is so i'll be frantically putting the battery back in!

i'll report back when i've tried it!

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
thank yuo for the prompt reply Donald

i may just put the ear muffs on and disconnect the battery with the alarm going off - stuff the neighbours! :d if that doesn't work, i have no idea where the alarm box is so i'll be frantically putting the battery back in!

i'll report back when i've tried it!
Hi do you have the radio code because it will probely require it after the battery is disconnected and then connected again and when you connect the battery back up the alarm will sound i would of thought but as you say the neighbors will just have to put it up with for a few minutes cheers Donald

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think the radio code is somewhere in the books, i think i remember seeing it.

i disconnected one side of the battery and the alarm didn't sound. as soon as i touched the other side it started giving me spasmodic blips and beeps (nearly bricked myself the first couple of times!). if i'm honest i don't have the confidence in myself to have the alarm blearing and being comfortable enough in my own ability to get it stop when i want it to! :(

i think i may have to relegate myself and the family to the bus tomorrow morning and await the cavalry in the form of my dad tomorrow night. i can then jack lead up to him and see if it starts, thus confirming whether the glow plugs work or not.

i feel i may well be visiting these forums again tomorrow night though...

thanks again for your input Donald

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
i think the radio code is somewhere in the books, i think i remember seeing it.

i disconnected one side of the battery and the alarm didn't sound. as soon as i touched the other side it started giving me spasmodic blips and beeps (nearly bricked myself the first couple of times!). if i'm honest i don't have the confidence in myself to have the alarm blearing and being comfortable enough in my own ability to get it stop when i want it to! :(

i think i may have to relegate myself and the family to the bus tomorrow morning and await the cavalry in the form of my dad tomorrow night. i can then jack lead up to him and see if it starts, thus confirming whether the glow plugs work or not.

i feel i may well be visiting these forums again tomorrow night though...

thanks again for your input Donald
Go ahead you will be fine its not going to bit you:d we are all here to help anytime keep us posted all the best Donald

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right, just a quick update on my flipping megane!

from the top....i replaced the old plugs with the new ones and the new ones didn't work. put the old ones back in and they didn't work either unless i turned the living hell out the ignition, flattening the battery in the process. i had to take the battery out and charge it EVERY night to be sure i had enough turning power in each morning. (one thing i will put as advice to others if they don't know....there are 2 cables and a washer type thing that have to be attached to the positive side. be sure to connect the engine one onto the battery first and THEN the alarm one on top of that).

so yesterday i got me dad round and we tested whether i was getting any power to the plugs....it turns out i'm not so that's why neither set worked! speaking to a mechanic friend of mine, he says the engine has a load of fuses and we're thinking with all the turning i've been doing i MAY have blown one of them. we'll investigate next weekend i think.

another friend told me a nice way to get around the problem. Connect a croc clip to the positive side of the battery and hold the other end onto one of the glow plugs for about ten seconds. this heats them up by bypassing the power problem. i'll be doing this all week but i don't mind as it's better than the peasant wagon each morning!

i've certainly learnt a lot about my car this past week!!! :crazy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts