Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery and immobiliser problem – connected?

I posted a question yesterday on an immobiliser problem; but got no response, so I'll try and rephrase it.

On my 1996 Renault Megane, I'm having simultaneous battery and immobiliser problems. The battery was flat, has been charged, needs to be changed a.s.a.p. but now I can't switch off the immobiliser – other than by using the code/central locking button bypass. My question is, is it possible that my battery and immobiliser problems are connected? I have read that a dying battery will adversely affect the electronics. So, might changing the battery solve both my problems, or will I have to get my immobiliser problem sorted with a Renault dealer before I take it to my garage for the battery?

Thanks in advance.

R

·
0 Posts
Re: Battery and immobiliser problem – connected?

I would say the answer is probably yes the flat battery is more than likely causing the immobiliser problem. But 1st you will need to sort out why the battery keeps going flat?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for replying Recycled Scenic.

The battery is old and needs to be changed; and I'd be relieved if the decrepit battery is responsible for the immobiliser, because that would mean I wouldn't have to go to Renault first to get the immobiliser fixed. I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer unless absolutely necessary, but I don't want to go along to the garage to get my battery done and have the garage say 'take the car to the Renault dealer first and get your immobiliser fixed'.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts

If you google for renault plip resynchronising you can see if it is going to sort your problem. I am not sure but it may be right for your car.

Best of luck

R

·
0 Posts

I'm not 100% sure but being an older Renault it may be the case you can re-enter the security code manually in your car if the code is less than 8 digits IIRC? If not it will need to re-entered using diagnostic equipment :eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks both Scenics.

It did cross my mind late this evening, after two days stressing, that because after the battery went flat I had to use the code trick to bypass the immobiliser to get the car going again, that the problem now is with resynchronising the key. As suggested, I have googled the procedure for resynchronising the key and will try this tomorrow.

I now have hope.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Success. Thanks both Scenics. I googled renault plip resynchronising as suggested and tried different methods to get the key up and running again; and the one that worked was from here:
http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/vault/JE/IMMOBILISER/RENAULT_IMMO_KEY_MEMENTO.pdf

Briefly, after entering the code to bypass the immobiliser; remove key from ignition; press and hold down the central locking button, until doors lock and unlock; then, within 1.5 seconds, point key at sensor in panel next to rear view mirror, and press key three times. After third press, the key will lock and unlock the door – i.e. it works again!

R

·
0 Posts

Glad you got it sorted :)

Thanks for the link it made for interesting reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts