Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am new to this - only just got my car yesterday and it seems the battery has died (no lights, engine doesnt start etc..)

I am going to purchase a new battery tomorrow for Clio - I have read about losing the codes for the radio & immobiliser once a battery is changed - I have the radio but I am worried about Immobiliser.

Is this code in the original documentation, and if so can I 'programme' this code back myself somehow - if so how can this be done.

Sorry if some of questions seem rather stupid - I work in computers yet know very little about cars :)

Thanks in advance

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Welcome to the forums, You can't know about everything and I don't know about the immobiliser on your car but help will be along tomorrow.

Just read your first post, I would say it is definitely the battery, I had just the same problem a few days after I got my car, the battery was flat.

Probably ran flat on the garage forecourt with not been used, modern batteries are useless once they have been left flat, the garage probably new it was like that but charged it up enough to start it and for you to get home.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
as far as I am aware the code is not in any of the documentation. The only way to get the code I believe is from the dealer. Being as you have only just purchased the car, I would get on to the dealer (was there any warranty with it) and get them to put a new battery in and sort the immobliliser.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your immobilisor should be fine mate, as long as it aint been flat for ages you will be fine changing the battery today...infact you would be fine for over a week, give it a try :)

Good luck!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi. Yes, it seems to take ages for the immobiliser to lose its sequence. Just changing the battery or doing some work with the battery disconnected won't do it.

Actually, the unlocking code is "burned in" and is never lost. But there is also a rolling sequence code that modifies the code transmitted by the key so that it is different every time it is used. This is to prevent the potential of theft by covertly recording and replaying a key operation. It's this rolling sequence code that can get out of sync if either the key or the immobiliser is powered down for a long time. It should be quite rare, and you should be able to find the resync procedure easily enough, although you have to dig for the exact procedure for your car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys..

Here is the latest...

The battery itself is dead - I managed to get the engine started when we jump-started the car - however it cuts out after a second - meaning the Immobiliser is definately preventing the car from starting.

I have spoken to my dealer who said I need to get the code for the immobiliser from Renault - I then spoke to Renault who say they don't actually give out the codes for the Immobiliser - he recommended I go to a non-approved Renault dealer.

I am being sent in roundabouts.. what is my next step?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts