Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery dies within an hour, it happened all of a sudden. Started it the other day and it struggled, but actually started. Tried the next day and it's completely dead.

The ignition will turn on, but when i press the button with my foot on the brake it will release the steering wheel, click...but wont even attempt turning over.

I jump started it from another vehicle, it started so i drove it for about an hour...came home, waited an hour, tried again and completely dead.

I've just had a new clutch. Not sure if they could have knocked something?

I also shorted the cigarette lighter fuse the day prior...i've put a new fuse in, could this have anything to do with it? Help :(

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
Have the battery tested.
Or if it's more than 3 years old change it anyway.
I would change or substitute to prove, IMNSHO yer old un has just let go, these months hammer batteries.
Do however, check the integrity of connections & fuses in the battery area, also any earth straps that may have been removed.
http://www.eurocarparts.com/car-battery

Please fill in "your garage", so we know about which vehicle we are discussing.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
My long expired R21 went the same in the summer months, I drove 150 miles to an holiday destination with no battery problems at all.

On the first start the following morning the battery was RIP, the AA jump started the car after which I drove about 20 mile & stopped the car on a downhill slope, once again I turned the key, the battery was FUBAR. In fairness though it had lasted for nine years.

Unfortunately they don't make batteries like they used to, no warning is given, they just go belly up, all of a sudden.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a MK2 2004 1.4

I figured it was the battery, just wondered if it could be anything else like a fuse or relay...im so done with this POS.

Having just paid £300 for a clutch & slave I was hoping somebody would say it's a 20amp fuse lol.

~Goes to parts shop again~

-_-

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,391 Posts
have a look on eurocarparts they are always having a battery deal wifes car was £30 but £35 for the next one up in power well worth it
Ron
added
agree with post below a simple £3 test meter would do

·
7,755 Posts
I would get the alternator checked see if it's charging.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fitted a new battery about 11 o'clock, when I get home i'll check it *Fingers crossed*...cost me £42 so it better work.

I don't feel lucky

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeh mike, just got back and tried it, it's dead...what could be draining it? There's nothing left on (no lights, radio etc)

But obviously there's something, and it drains quick too, so something quite substantial

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just checked out the video, sounds like a plan! I'll get onto that tomorrow, it's dark and wet now.

Thanks for that Mike, straight to the point with actual steps to a fix...want a hug? Ima hug you bro

·
7,755 Posts
Could still be the alternator does it feel warmer than expected after standing if the diodes are failing it could be feeding power back into it, if you have a volt meter see if you getting about 14v with the engine running.
I could be totally wrong as no one else seems to think it's that but worth checking.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ralph, there's a voltage display plummed into the cigarette lighter wires...it previously showed 14.00 - 14.10 on that with the engine running. Not sure what it is now...yet

·
7,755 Posts
14 is about right, engine on about 12.5 engine off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts