Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, things are getting desperate and I need advice b4 I push the car over a cliff!!

The battery on our megane 53 1.9 dymanique drains flat overnight. It's had a new ECU, recon alternator, several new batteries, lots of money spent on diagnostics and no one can find the drain.

We've been told this week that as a last resort the garage would need to disconnect everything electrical on the car and then reconnect to find the fault, all of which is likely to cost another 700 in labour alone!!

We've been recommended by a friend to just buy a battery guard just to avoid the car not starting.

Obviously I'm no expert in the car field so any information would be appreciated....

Thankyou Rebecca

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Renault Forums :)

Hopefully some will be able to help you

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
It's a job for an auto electrician rather than the local garage.
A faulty cam sensor has been known to cause this problem, but that is just one of the many possibilities.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having exactly the same problem. Heart sinking. I've had two RAC men, a diagnostics, a test battery, a new battery and £100 down. Only started last couple of weeks, had been running fine. Usually took overnight to drain, but been out today and it's gone flat in two hours :( I'm at a loss. The mobile diagnostic guy showed me meter that said replace battery, replaced battery and same thing happened. Booked in for main dealer next week because at a loss what to do. Don't want to throw good money after bad on replacing things that might not work : S I hate cars!

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
as a last resort the garage would need to disconnect everything electrical on the car and then reconnect to find the fault, all of which is likely to cost another 700 in labour alone!!
All electrical circuits can be disconnected individually via the fuseboxes, then the fault traced from there. £700 sounds a bit steep to find a battery drain.

sheppy88: I expect the meter was a drop tester, which tests how well the battery holds up when loaded. For this test the battery should be fully charged and it sounds like it might not have been.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As Disgusted has suggested the cars circuits can be disconnected individually and tracing a drain is not beyond DIY.
You will need a cheap multimeter which will measure up to 10 amps/. Read the instructions carefully with regard to plugging in the leads, since they will be in different positions to normal voltage, resistance readings and may damage the meter if incorrect.
The procedure will involves putting the meter in 'series' (disconnect the positive from the battery, connect one lead to the post and the other to the cable so the current flows through the meter) with the battery-with the ignition off and the alarm not set.
The meter will then give you a reading as to how much current is being drawn from the battery i.e battery drain. It is then a simple case of removing fuses in turn to find out which one causes a substantial drop in the reading. N.B it may not read absolutely zero due to the permanent live to the radio etc but this will be milliamps rather than amps.
Once the rogue circuit has been located it's is a case of finding out what it supplies and trace the fault from there.
Before you go through this though take the boot light bulb out and see if this cures it often it is one of the courtesy lights/ switches that is responsible.
How this makes sense/helps

Good luck

Don't turn on the ignition or attempt to start the car with the meter connected should anyone use this-- it will go bang.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
hi i would first off get a multi meter get some 1 to sit in the car lift the bonnet now you will have a alarm switch some where you will need to tape it down now put the meter across the battery posts if its as bad a drain as you say it will show on the meter ie you will see the volts/amps go down now start to pull the fuses 1 at a time and watch to see if 1 it stops the drain if so this is where the fault may be if not replace the fuse if it moves about remember the fuse number keep going if you dont find the fuse that stops it move on the the relays do them 1 at a time this process should show we/you hope where the fault is as not every relay will be a fused relay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts