Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with this cold weather my scenic is refusing to start. We had to ge t a new battery which seemed to sort it for a few days, but now this seems to keep draining too. We asked a grarage and they checked altinator - which was charging fine.Also the radio has gone off and wont let me reset it. Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,675 Posts
There will be a reason but not always easy to identify. You need to equip yourself with a multimeter and a battery charger. Both very handy and not expensive.
Charge your battery as otherwise it will die and you need to get a new one.
Then get your multimeter and start measuring. Ignition off all consumers off. Turn off interior lights. Disconnect earth lead on battery and connect multimeter in amp reading mode between battery negative pole and battery earth strap. Note that most multimeters can only take max 10 amps for a short period of time before the internal fuse blows so initially just connect the leads for sufficiently short time to make a reading. Connect permanently if power drawn is less than 10 amps. Then start disconnecting fuses so you can identify which circuit is causing the problem. There may be corrosion in engine fuse box causing earth leaks so look there as well. I don't know about the radio. Perhaps you need to enter a code to get it working.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
have you looked at the radio dead thread my radio is also dead, is your console on the dashboard still lit up after you lock the car, if so see if you can remove the console fuse or even better pull out the radio as i have and disconect it totally. the duff radio is draining your battery for more info look at radio dead thread on the forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
battery draining for no reason in scenic is this a common fault ?

I have just read through this post and it seems the same problem that I have just started to have also with my 56 plate Scenic

First no radio then next day battery drained completely so jump started it then took on long drive out but next day dead as a dodo again - is it worth getting a new battery or just getting my local mechanic to try out the things in this thread ?

Is this a common problem on 2006 scenic's ?

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My husband took car into renault garage to be told that it is quite a common fault to do with the way the radio is wired up.
Our car is going in on tues to get looked at and hopefully if this is what has happened then renault will pay to get new radio installed. will keep you posted with outcome.....
In the meantime we are having to disconnect battery every night to stop it from draining!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

We've owned a 2005 Grand Scenic (1.6) for about a year. Last Halloween, its battery was dead, so I went out and bought a new one. Within a week, the new one was dead too. I took it to my local mechanic, who couldn't find anything and advised me to go to Renault, who told me I bought the wrong battery. They sold me a new one (fortunately, local autoparts store took back the other new battery), and within 3 weeks, it was dead. I have taken it back to Renault 5 times now, and they can never identify a drain or a fault, and we have been reduced to disconnecting the battery every evening.

Now I have read of similar problems in this forum, but it is not the hatch; that closes fine. It is not the relay in the glove box. For a while, I thought it was, so I was taking it out, which seemed to do the trick, and then one morning, with it out, the battery was dead. And neither the dash lights nor the radio stay on after I lock it. And the lights inside the car go off after a few seconds. I have also removed several fuses, on the advice of people on this forum, but nothing clicks off and none of the fuses are warm (and I am only doing that with the fuses in the glove box).

I have noticed one thing: if the little light on the brake-lever stays on, it is almost sure to be dead in the morning. I checked this once at 4am; I went out to the car and the light was on (after not having driven the car for more than 6 hours) but the battery did not have enough juice to start the car. I have also noticed that sometimes when I disconnect the battery, even after 2 hours, something clicks inside the fuse box in the engine compartment (but not always).

One idea was that it may have had a software upgrade, which may have caused the problems, but I never had that done, and there is no record of it, but I think the mechanic checked anyway.

We bought it from Car People, so it carries a very odd extended warranty, which means Renault won't change the Engine Management System prior to identifying where the actual drain might be coming from, and since the car behaves every time I take it in, I am at an impasse.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Best,
Frank

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, the brake is electronic, and off to the right, closest to the driver's side window, instead of one the floor.

Forgive my ignorance: I am not sure what WTi is. It's 2005, 1.6 (16 valve) "55" reg, if that helps.

Thanks!

Best,
Frank

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, had this same problem January 09 on my 07 Scenic. Dealer said "radio", causes battery to discharge if car is not used. I was sceptical, but they showed me documentation from Renault detailing problem and solution. Anyway, radio replaced under warranty, and has been OK this winter (even down to -17C!).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

We've owned a 2005 Grand Scenic (1.6) for about a year. Last Halloween, its battery was dead, so I went out and bought a new one. Within a week, the new one was dead too. I took it to my local mechanic, who couldn't find anything and advised me to go to Renault, who told me I bought the wrong battery. They sold me a new one (fortunately, local autoparts store took back the other new battery), and within 3 weeks, it was dead. I have taken it back to Renault 5 times now, and they can never identify a drain or a fault, and we have been reduced to disconnecting the battery every evening.

Now I have read of similar problems in this forum, but it is not the hatch; that closes fine. It is not the relay in the glove box. For a while, I thought it was, so I was taking it out, which seemed to do the trick, and then one morning, with it out, the battery was dead. And neither the dash lights nor the radio stay on after I lock it. And the lights inside the car go off after a few seconds. I have also removed several fuses, on the advice of people on this forum, but nothing clicks off and none of the fuses are warm (and I am only doing that with the fuses in the glove box).

I have noticed one thing: if the little light on the brake-lever stays on, it is almost sure to be dead in the morning. I checked this once at 4am; I went out to the car and the light was on (after not having driven the car for more than 6 hours) but the battery did not have enough juice to start the car. I have also noticed that sometimes when I disconnect the battery, even after 2 hours, something clicks inside the fuse box in the engine compartment (but not always).

One idea was that it may have had a software upgrade, which may have caused the problems, but I never had that done, and there is no record of it, but I think the mechanic checked anyway.

We bought it from Car People, so it carries a very odd extended warranty, which means Renault won't change the Engine Management System prior to identifying where the actual drain might be coming from, and since the car behaves every time I take it in, I am at an impasse.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Best,
Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts