Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 months ago my nephew bought a 52 plate scenic 1.6 16v with 69000 miles. The cambelt hadn't been done so when he could afford it, about a month ago he took it to a garage and had it done.

When he picked his car up it was rattling like hell, so he brought it over to my house and told me the mechanic said the rattling would go away.

I told him not to drive it anywhere and take it straight back the following day, because it sounded like the timing was out. The garage kind of put this right, although it still appeared to be tapping a little more than usual

A couple of days ago he broke down. It just cut out on the motorway. Then on the key turn the engine was just whirring round quite quietly without starting. I said it sounded to me like the cambelt had gone.

I towed him to the garage where the mechanic tried saying no it's not the cambelt, and must be something else because the cam is still turning.

Foolishly we left it there for him to look at. My nephew needed to hire a car and needed to get his licence which he had left in his car so i took him back to the garage, they had taken the cover off the timing belt, and we could see that the belt was freyed all down one edge, the pulley wheel on the front camshaft had a big chunk out of the lip and the wheel below that (don't know what that's called) was shattered although still in place into around ten pieces.

The mechanic said he would replace the pulley wheels and the timing belt free of charge,

But the following day without my knowledge he phoned my nephew to say the camshaft had snapped, and it would take a few days to repair, and he would loan my nephew a car. So my nephew went to collect the car and was told he would need to pay around £500 for the repair. For whatever reason he didn't tell me, and even parted with £200 up front.

I was fuming about this but my nephew works 25 miles away and needs his car to get to work and cannot afford any more time off. he said he had no choice but to pay the money.

I feel like the mechanic doesn't really know what he is doing and the car hasn't been right since going in the first place

There's the story, now does anybody know...

1. is it possible for a timing belt to damage a metal pulley wheel? As an afterthought I've been wondering if the mechanic has cut away at the lip on the pulley wheel to get the cam belt on in the first place.

2. What is the wheel below the front camshaft? Is it a tensioner and should it have been replaced when the car was first in a month ago.

3. What do you reckon the chances are of the car being right this time? and does my nephew have any choice (apart from walking away and buying another car) but to hand over even more money?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
my money is on he fited a belt but just a belt not a full kit and didnt time it rite or used the old tensioners or he over tightend them or never tourqued the crank shaft causing the belt to slip and destroy the tensioner id be suprised if there isnt valve damage and this is why he is saying the cams gone so you pay for his mistake ie money to fix the head

R

·
0 Posts
There is a guide roller below the inlet cam shaft and there is a tensioner roller further down on the exhaust cam shaft side of the engine these and the belt should all be changed at the same time and can be purchased as a cam belt kit. It is also advisable to have the water pump checked and replaced if required at the same time as this also driven by the timing belt.

The plastic guide rollers can collapse and the bearings in them can also seize up.

None of the shafts have keys so if they aren’t tightened up properly they can slip and valve and piston contact WILL occur.

With regards to the lump out of the side of the cam shaft sprocket that sounds like some body being ham fisted !

This is a 2.0 engine which but very similar to the 1.6

O

·
0 Posts
I'd be interestd to know why your nephew parted with money to redo this job, when the mechanic said it would be free.
Whatever, the mechanic has fooked up the engine and is trying get out of it.

1) Don't be intimidated, do not get the car repaired by this bloke unless it's free and warranteed.
2) Say you are taking this further and getting a second opinion, then taking it to court.
3) Get the £200 back that has been paid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts