Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm about to be a new driver on the roads!, I'm to be a 17 year old male, and I noticed that the insurance prices seem to be very expensive. The car I have is a 1.2 Clio 1998, I'm looking to go for 3rd Party, since fully comp is not worth it since my car isn't worth the cover.

The best price i've had quoted so far is £930, is this the best option for me.

Regards
James

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
£930 is a good price, The compare sites are rubbish, and you will get a better price by phoning the companies direct and adding a experienced driver (parent) on the policy. Admiral seem to be one of the cheapest for young drivers.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
£930 is excellent! When I passed (2 years ago) I paid Quinn Direct £1500 for insurance for the exact same car.

Oddly, it dropped to £1200 when I got my 2.0 Megane 3 months later :confused:

·
Administrator
13,224 Posts
£930 is excellent! When I passed (2 years ago) I paid Quinn Direct £1500 for insurance for the exact same car.

Oddly, it dropped to £1200 when I got my 2.0 Megane 3 months later :confused:
Your insurance is so high cuz you are young and live in NI!! People from NI always have to pay more for car insurance... its crap!! :mad:

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Your insurance is so high cuz you are young and live in NI!! People from NI always have to pay more for car insurance... its crap!! :mad:

Pushing me closer and closer to diving over to the mainland, just so I can have an Avantime! Fed up of it Heather, been driving over two years and it's still £1200.

·
Administrator
13,224 Posts
I've been driving over 12yrs and mines £600!! and due to be renewed!! :crazy: My older brother moved to scotland and bought himself a 350z and his insurance for it is less than mine... :mad:

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Wow, £600 for a 1.9 dCi? I thought I was just paying the price for buying the biggest petrol engine. Sounds like your brother is having his cake and eating it too.... :devil:

·
Administrator
13,224 Posts
Yeah its crap!! But I did have an accident 4yrs ago which doesn't help :(!
My brother lives on the outer hebrides of scotland which has single lane roads that have passing points on them so he sometimes doesn't get to drive it very fast which I constantly take the pi$$ out of him for :d:d but he works at an airport so every so often he goes for a drive on the runway :devil: ha ha

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Hello,

I am assuming you are getting an insurance quotes for when you have passed your driving test and in your own name? £930 sounds excellent value for money to me based on your age and lack of driving experience. As you are aware due to your age and lack of driving experience your premiums will be higher. Have you tried getting quotes with Pass Plus and or adding your mum say as a 2nd driver which may bring the premiums down.

Harry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had a quote for me the wife and my 17 year old daughter on an 06 clio 1400 dynamique of 745. This is with diamond ins, but only works if my wife is the owner. 8700 for my daughter to drive my vw passat 170:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I'm about to be a new driver on the roads!, I'm to be a 17 year old male, and I noticed that the insurance prices seem to be very expensive. The car I have is a 1.2 Clio 1998, I'm looking to go for 3rd Party, since fully comp is not worth it since my car isn't worth the cover.

Regards
James
that is a really good price! is this the cheapest you have seen?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all,

Regards
James
who did you get that quote from? my 18 year old son cant find anything under £3000
Seriously, i'd love to know in fact i NEED to know

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmm....I'm not convinced myself.
Sounds like the OP is possibly a learner looking to insure for the future?
I found through Quinn Direct that this was around £600 to insure my then 17 / 18 yr old sons....once they passed and it was their car the price sky rocketed.
IF .....and I do say IF its a genuine price its pretty good, but, I'd like to see eveidence myself!

From doing lots and lots of research to help get my 17yr old and 18 yr old sons insurance when they passed around a year ago, I found as follows......

Either contacting the companies direct / or using the comparison websites the cheapest I was getting was around the £2500+ mark....this was for fully comp

I found ( as per ollycuff ) that by speaking to Ikube Insurance the boys were offered fully comp insurance for £1100 for the 18 yr old and around £1350 for the 17 yr old ( obviously more if you paid over the yr in installments )

As part of this, they fit a tracker to the car and this means you cannot drive between the hours of 11pm and 5am
***Most sane and sensible people will be in at that time unless partying, when they won't have the car anyway***

Generally, its at that time you see small cars, tuned up with bling bling full of 5 or so kids zooming around, and thats why they do it I guess.

It wasn't necessarily a particualr hardship and really brought the premiums down.......might be worth looking into?

Good luck
i was thinking the same when i noticed their age.
The problem with the tracker box system for my son is he works and starts at 5am so would be travelling in the peak rate hours. now it would only be 30 minutes a week at most so not sure how that would affect it.

oh well, back to the internet lol

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
In December 2009, I bought my son a Peugeot 106 diesel and insured it under his own name (you have to start somewhere!) and I struggled to find a company who would insure him because of his age and only passed the test and also on R Plates (NI thing only).

In the end AXA insurance were the only ones that would insure him for the outrageous price of £2700 (TPFT)!!!

Renewal time came and the price dropped £300 which had to paid again.

RIPOFF!

My A6's insurance rose this year by roughly £250 to a total of £500.

The Megane is in the wifes name and its currently at £200.

Both with Allianz NI.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts