Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to what everyone uses on door locks as lubrication? The nsr door lock on my 07 Zafira is a bit stiff. A few times it hasn't gone back into the correct position when the door has been opened so then you have to manually pull the latch back across to be able to shut the door.

Also not sure if it is related but after it happened yesterday the alarm kept going off until I opened and shut the doors again. I was thinking that maybe the latch hadn't gone properly into position and was telling the car the door was open? It keeps going off again every so often. I need to find a way to disable it. I could pull the fuse but I see someone else say it didn't stop it. Luckily it's not too loud.

So anyway what do people use? WD40, Graphite, White grease?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
8,103 Posts
WD40 is not a lubricant really , it a releasing oil and/or water dispeller, and used for cleaning parts, so you can give the lock a good soaking in WD-40 to clean any old gunge out of there and then when its dried a bit, possibly some silicone lubricant ( WD-40 also make this as well, but I was assuming when mentioning WD-40 that you meant the freeing agent version)

Reactions: Dandsc

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,477 Posts
WHAT part of the door locks

The part that locks the door to the pillar, or door handle, or door strap ?

Your electrical fault,
Open rear door(s) by the bottom door hinge, see the rubber boot
Vauxhall are prone for the wires breaking inside here ,
Never come across a Front loom issue going to the doors on Vauxhall, (zaffira b) but loads on the rear
But a shite design to take apart, you have to turn to release,
See if you can find a decent Video showing how to take apart

Make sure nearside rear light is correctly sealed, water runs down the inside, where the light bolts to the body. (seal gets left off)
and follows the wiring along and damages the fuse board (REC) in the boot This will also set the alarm off (Zaffira B's are really bad for this .I tend to remove, silicon seal and refit )

·
Premium Member
7,016 Posts
Hi

When I had this issue it was with a rear door on a 309 (45 k) that had previously belonged to an elderly couple, don't think the back seat had ever been sat on.
I took the door card off & used good old Vaseline. Car did another 290 K before getting written off I never had another issue with this lock.

I'm sure every one else will tell you what they have used in the past, but as others have said Wd40 will only help release the mechanism for now but not prevent the re occurrence of the same issue down the road.

Al

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHAT part of the door locks

The part that locks the door to the pillar, or door handle, or door strap ?

Your electrical fault,
Open rear door(s) by the bottom door hinge, see the rubber boot
Vauxhall are prone for the wires breaking inside here ,
Never come across a Front loom issue going to the doors on Vauxhall, (zaffira b) but loads on the rear
But a shite design to take apart, you have to turn to release,
See if you can find a decent Video showing how to take apart

Make sure nearside rear light is correctly sealed, water runs down the inside, where the light bolts to the body. (seal gets left off)
and follows the wiring along and damages the fuse board (REC) in the boot This will also set the alarm off (Zaffira B's are really bad for this .I tend to remove, silicon seal and refit )
Ok thanks mate, It's the mechanism on the door itself that is the problem. I will have a look into what you mentioned. Some people say it could be the power sounder battery but I haven't heard any extra bleeps to warn me it's getting low on power. I can't check that yet because I need to get a locking key. Is there a way to totally disable the alarm for the moment or just the sound?

Hi

When I had this issue it was with a rear door on a 309 (45 k) that had previously belonged to an elderly couple, don't think the back seat had ever been sat on.
I took the door card off & used good old Vaseline. Car did another 290 K before getting written off I never had another issue with this lock.

I'm sure every one else will tell you what they have used in the past, but as others have said Wd40 will only help release the mechanism for now but not prevent the re occurrence of the same issue down the road.

Al
Ok thanks mate, I sprayed it with WD40 for now and I will add some lubricant tomorrow.

·
41,477 Posts
LOCKING key ( Wheel here , you mean )
Sure its the Sonde and not your actual car battery
Vauxhall are finiky with voltage issues ( A lot like Renault )

You need at least Op-Com here,
Just so you can get correct voltage readings when the alarm plays up ..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOCKING key ( Wheel here , you mean )
Sure its the Sonde and not your actual car battery
Vauxhall are finiky with voltage issues ( A lot like Renault )

You need at least Op-Com here,
Just so you can get correct voltage readings when the alarm plays up ..
Yeah wheel locking key to access the power sounder behind the wheel arch.

Could be car battery for sure, I need to rule that out first. The car feels slightly slow/weak to crank when I start it. It always starts though, It just felt a little strange.

·
41,477 Posts
Check the Starter lead from the battery

Wait until its cold

Lift bonnet.
Go to start the car, get out and put your hand on the positive terminal of the battery, if hotter than should be
( Should just be slightly warm, careful, you can burn your hand )
Then go for battery

Reactions: Dandsc

·
Registered
48 Posts
Never WD-40. It is a water displacement product that dries to a sticky mess. I just took my cylinders apart to clean them up, and had to do the same with my safe a few months ago.

You can use powdered graphite, or certain liquids with Molybdenum or graphite that are designed to enter, rinse, and evaporate leaving only the Moly or graphite.

·
Registered
109 Posts
if vauxhall haven't changed the goal posts, it used to be if you had a vauxhall with an alarm to disconnect the battery it had to be done with in 30 seconds of turning the ignition off to stop the alarm going off, may be worth doing this to pull the fuse, if the power is just cut from the alarm it likely uses a backup feed for security so you'll probably find there is a second fuse or direct feed to the battery, pulling the fuse with in 30 seconds of ignition turned off or battery disconnected properly may bypass this security failsafe?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts