Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals

What in your opinion is the best maps/directions that you can recommend.. I have used MappyMe, Via Michelin, TheAA, and Collins, Philips and the AA maps. Each have their own benefits, but was wondering if anyone had something else they use.

Also TOMTOM of course

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Although the Vel has sat-nav, I use another system which is fully portable between my cars/van - its Route 66 which operates on my Sony-Ericsson P910i mobile.

I find it very useful and accurate.

Quite reasonable too (it was £200 back in 2005), and saves having (yet another) trail of wires leading from the cigarette lighter socket.

I believe the prices have fallen in line with other systems.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Guys

Should have said for driving in Europe....France/Spain mainly

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, I only have the Uk & Ireland mapping chip (I'm not fixing cars overseas), but I know that European mapping is available for my system.

Its cheaper yet on a certain auction site;) .

Hope that helps.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Love ViaMichelin...
Sorry Selwonk, but so did I until a recient journey in Germany ... between Berlin Tegal and Dresden ... 3 times ViaMichelin took me off the autobahn and round small villages for no reason (I initially thought roadworks ... but there were none) ... the journeys had been planned the night before so the road conditions etc should have been bang up-to-date .... it also tried it twice on the return journey, but by that time I knew where I was going so I ignored the "detour" ...
Maybe I was unlucky, but I've use it several times before with no problems ... so IMHO I would stay clear for travel in Germany.

hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Its cheaper yet on a certain auction site;)
Be very wary of buying TomTom maps from auction sites. A lot of them aren't new and have already been registered to other people's units. When you try to get the codes for your own TomTom, you'll find your requests are rejected :crazy:

Also, I don't know if it still goes on, but at one point a lot of people were selling 'Major routes of Europe' as 'Maps of Western Europe.' The crucial difference being that the 'Major routes' mapping does not have street level data for many places outside of the home territory (usually UK.)

If you're just pottering around a small area, look at TomTom's 'city maps' for about 10 Euros a go. I downloaded the one for the 'Arona' region on Tenerife a couple of years back, and found that it covered the whole island :d

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Horatio, I wasn't talking about Tom-Tom.

I have a Route 66 memory card in my mobile. I was meaning if Telboy1949 has a symbian operating system enabled smartphone, then its an option he could consider.

I agree though, its always best to verify that any bolt-ons are compatibile.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
No misunderstanding at all. I realised you weren't being specific to TomTom, but I was a little concerned that TomTom owners might follow your advice.

It's probably safer to buy for other products, but TomTom have their system (well the 'GO' range, at least) pretty tightly sewn up with product codes and activation codes. Each unit and each map has a unique code, and only TomTom can generate an activation code to pair them. Once they've done that, they'll refuse to produce activation codes for the same map unless there are exceptional circumstances.

The "Western Europe" con might work on other units too, with people offering the full maps, but then delivering the 'major routes' version instead.

When it comes to software of any description (including DVD videos) I'm very wary of eBay. There's a lot of people passing off copies as the genuine article. If you're going to part with hard cash, then make sure you're getting the real thing.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have the latest western european maps on my TomTom, but I still like to pre-plan my journey. I would never rely on any Sat Nav alone, always have maps handy, but I know from experience that recently the roads (especially in Spain) change almost from day to day. Thanks all for your input.

Tel

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
TomTom have their system (well the 'GO' range, at least) pretty tightly sewn up with product codes and activation codes. Each unit and each map has a unique code, and only TomTom can generate an activation code to pair them. Once they've done that, they'll refuse to produce activation codes for the same map unless there are exceptional circumstances.
I borrowed the SD card from works TomTom One to see if I could get the maps working (wanted the Ireland map for my GO). I needed an activation code, so trawled various torrent sites looking for an answer. I downloaded a small program, that runs in DOS and when the product code is typed in, it gives a working activation code :d

So looks like TomTom have'nt quite got it sewn up tight enough ;)

Try Mappy - Road Guide for European travel planning. Used it a few times and seems pretty good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts