Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok we have had some very lively discussions about oils recently on renaultforums. Heres a question to tinker with your brains.

What is the best oil to use to quieten down noisy tappets?

Any oil specifications or even the oil name reccomendations would be appreciated. Im having the oil changed next week and need to know which oil it is that will quieten down thoses tractor i mean car tappets. :crazy:

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Tsunami..... quiten down noisy tappets ..... get them adjusted! ..... no oil will will make them quite, if they are really that noisy then something is badly worn or seriously far out of adjustment, when was it last serviced?

Honest oil is not the solution here :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi truckbusuk. the car was serviced about 3 months ago but i think the theifs at the garage used some really cheap oil. The tappets are not extreme but are annoying. i was told by a friend if i use fully synthetic (i think) oil they should help the oil get up to the tappets and quieten them down. Is that just a fairy tale? :crazy:

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Tsunami ... unless your car has starship mileage I'd put money on it they didnt adjust the tappets when servicing the car ... sorry :eek: ... did they charge you for a rocker cover gasket? ... if not I'm suspicious that it was ever off, and if it was not off then how did they do the tappets?

Using synthetic oil wont make it much quiter after the car warms up, neither will STP or the like.
If your not mechanically minded check it yourself using a long screwdriver while the engine it at idle .... use it like a stethoscope ... listen at the handle (on your ear) and place the blade at 1/8 intervals along the cover .... you'll hear the tappets and if one or more are out ... it will be obvious from the noise.

let us know how you get on.

Hope it helps :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts