Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Just a quick question here. I have had this mark in the middle of the bonnet of the car from I bought it. Anyone know of the best way to fix it?

It seems as if something was dropped on it. It is a U shaped mark with other marks shooting off from it. The paint is missing.

Cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
if its smoothe like the rest of the bonnet its got laquer over wich means its in the paint.

if not and you feel the PITTING of the paint under your fingertips, then yes something has dropped on it, it looks as if its down the primer at least, or the paint pigments have stuck together in a previous respray. you cant really tell from photo.

my advice would be to leave it untill you can have the bonnet repainted. as its in the middle a blend in would be noticeable so whole bonnet would be done.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have some paint I got mixed up at Halfords. They mixed it from the colour code of the car.

This was applied to the back of my car last year but it seems a little bit off in contrast to the actual colour of the car itself.

Would it be worth touching this up with that colour? Perhaps I need to shake the bottle more to get the true colour?

If I was to apply this paint is there anything I can use to then smooth the paint off with the rest of the bonnet and perhaps buff it in some way so that it actually blends in with the natural colour of the car?

Thanks for the previous reply btw.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Any repair to a bonnet will always be noticable unless you are very skilled and most professional car painters will not guarantee an invisable repair. You could try using the open end of a paper clip and dabbing minute drops of paint on the uncoloured spots but in reality it will only disguise it and make it less noticeable.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers bud. Open end of a paper clip? Would a fine paint brush do the same trick? Knowing my luck I will probably score the car more using a paper clip.

·
Registered
50 Posts
anything alfuds have made up for me has been off slightly, i dont go there for paint mix anymore either they cant wieght the paint properly or their product is sub quality.

i go to an automotive paint supplier anythig in spray can form or touch up is either urethan base coat or 2k (2 pack) base coat with a propellant (in a spray can), often paint match is nearly perfect and depend on preparation as to the result.

that bonnet is needing a new full coat of base and laquer. to cut costs you could prep the panel yourself and ask a body shop to shoot it over (they will not correct anything though) so you need to be spot on with your prep work then when you get the car back fully t-cut and polish and wax the car over.

get the paint code, call renault and recheck the paint colour giving them your chassis number, get a litre of paint made and supply this to the body shop too this may further reduce your costs in a way.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Any repair to a bonnet will always be noticable unless you are very skilled ...
... or it's already so rusty and scratched [like my Vectra bonnet] that no-one would ever be bothered to look!! :d

My kids rubbed snow around/off the bonnet last year and scratched it, they got an earfull, then they did it again this year, more scratches.... :devil:.... ah! it's just like sweeping up a beech or holding back the tide!!....

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
The mark looks something like the pattination I got on the bonnet of my previous car when it was "egged" from a height.
Those "little terrors, you cant be up to them" 'youthfull pranks.
(nb theyd have had my boot up em If I got hold of them)
Marked worse at the point of impact but still circular , as yours might be ,even tho mainly u shaped.

In my case I did nothing with it ,it was fairly close to the windscreen.I decided the bonnet would have needed a respray. I just kept it polished.

The whole bonnet was replaced later when somebody reversed into me.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
If you follow Noel's method (which is a sound repair route), I would suggest adding some thinners to the paint prior to mixing/shaking as you really want the paint to hve the same consistency as water, to allow for the smoothest application.

Do the same with the lacquer also.

HTH

Paul

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,253 Posts
the quickest and cheapest option i can see would be to replace the bonnet with one from the same year/model from a breakers yard.
you always run the risk that the bonnet wont quite match the rest of the car due to them being manufactured on different dates with different mixes of the paint.

but that would only really show up under sodium street lights at night.

personnaly i would put up with it as is and keep an eye out for a matching paint coded car in the local yards or on ebay.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A flat and polish would be the cheapest option. Then brush a bit of the basecoat into what ever is disable after polishing. But ultimately, only a respray will cure the problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
do you know what paint is on the car? 1.e polyurethane base coat (renault usually use that stuff, and then a 1k or 2k (1-2 pack) laquer. if so then thinners wont touch it. if acrilyc then you could possibly take away all the paint in a few scrubs of thinners and make it worse EVEN DILUTED!.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
do you know what paint is on the car? 1.e polyurethane base coat (renault usually use that stuff, and then a 1k or 2k (1-2 pack) laquer. if so then thinners wont touch it. if acrilyc then you could possibly take away all the paint in a few scrubs of thinners and make it worse EVEN DILUTED!.
I'm puzzled:confused:

Who suggested adding thinners onto the existing paint?

I mentioned adding thinners to the touch-up paint before applying it to the car...

Paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts