Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im trying to find out what the biggest alloys i can put on my 2009 megane 1.6 dynamique, I want a lower profile and a big as possible.

I have already spoken to my local dealer they wont recommend anything other than standard manufacturer ones.

if anyone knows this or knows where to get the information that would be great.

many thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
what size is on it just now mate? any photos of the car and a close up of the front and rear alloys esp the gap from the wheel arches and the alloys, i have a 57 plate cc and have 18s sitting wating to go on mine soon:d

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Hello,

why do you want bigger alloys. I would strongly recommend you stick with the alloy wheels recommended by the vehicle manufacturer as handling and ride comfort can suffer. You will find that fitting bigger alloys and low profile tyres will give a more harder ride. I would stick with standard size alloys and non low profile tyres.

Harry.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
very true haree plus the car will tramline more :d

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
you would prob get away with 18s if its not lowerd but im not 100% on that what you could do is go to the nearest alloy wheel shop and ask them to have a wee look see what they think ,i do think you would get away with 18s but with out seeing the car and how it sits its a ruff guess, i have 18s for mine but mine is a cc

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The Megane RS Cup is fitted with 18'' wheels and 235/40R18 tyres,so if you really wanted to spend some money you could find some 19's and some 30 profile tyres for them.:d

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
personally speaking, with today's pock-marked roads, I'd be looking for as much sidewall as possible - I'm getting quite a few enquiries from people who have buckled their wheels from hitting potholes.

Also a few threads from members if you have a search.

You may end up with a car which has the same ride comfort as a skateboard until the wheels end up looking like large 50p's...

Paul

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
very true mate i think there is a fine line in what you want and how the car drives /handles like i have had 19s on my last vectra looked the part but was a harsh ride at times on a uneven road, some peeps opt for looks more than comfort think its a personal pref

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Oh, I totally understand the attraction of big-diameter wheels (my VS had 18" wheels, and so does the Merc).

Cars these days have swollen in size compared with previous-generation models, that some wheel sizes make the car look like its on castors.

All I was trying to say was that there is a price to pay for reducing the height of that band of rubber, and sure it may look the mutt's nuts, and turn-in really tight, but if you have to drive everywhere at a reduced speed for fear of the wheels/tyres being damaged (or your fillings being dislodged), then is it worth it?

My criticism is aimed at the state of the roads, rather than the OP's intentions.

Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi last summer I did the same thing to my megane 2003 put 18s on and every 2 weeks I had to change the rear wheel bearings as they kept going, so I'm back to factory standard as dealer told me it's not made for bigger heavier wheels hope this helps

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
i went from 15" to 18" alloys on my seat toledo 1.9tdi, a few years ago, RS32 alloys, looked the biz :d
the car handled just as well, but god did the extra weight of the wheels slow it down, i had to get the car remapped to get my power back

the thing ive noticed from other threads on the 1.6, is its a bit under powered, add the extra weight of 18's and mica's are going to be leaving you at the lights

also your fuel usage will go up, and you get loads more road noise

1 - 13 of 13 Posts