Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am really new to this Forum and to Renaults ...
2 days ago I have bought a 2003 (Feb 2003) Renault Laguna Dynamique Techno Sport Tourer 2.2 dCi 6speed, 119K miles.

I bought it with the fault I will describe ...

When it starts and idle everything is fine ... setting off slowly slowly ... (really slow) everything is fine.
When I try to accelerate fast(er) ... makes the turbo to kick in ... and then black smoke blows from the back of the car... the harder the acceleration the thicker the smoke...
Once back on cruising speed and no acceleration then it clears again ...

It does burn some oil when all this happens but it does not seem to leak when stationary.

I think the performance is substidised ... however I do not know for sure as I have not driven another 2.2 dCi Renault to compare.

With all these ... when I driven it back home a distance of 89miles. .. it averaged around 40mpg.

Any ideas on what to look for?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
try taking the egr valve off and giving it a very good clean out

Reactions: Greeklaguna

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
A dirty ot faulty EGR won't cause oil consumption but leaking turbo oil seals will.
I suggest you check the inside of the turbo plumbing for exceesive oil.
The 2.2 dCi engine also has a history of cracked inlet manifolds pus failing inlet manifold gaskets.:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A dirty ot faulty EGR won't cause oil consumption but leaking turbo oil seals will.
I suggest you check the inside of the turbo plumbing for exceesive oil.
The 2.2 dCi engine also has a history of cracked inlet manifolds pus failing inlet manifold gaskets.:)

Any idea of costs that might incur at a friendly indepented garage??

I have found a turbo unit for 2.2 dci for £100 at eBay ...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have just received a call from my friend Mechanic ... and he said after driving the car and smoking everyone behind .. the turbo seemed good to him.. then he went to the engine and opened the covers and there was a lot of oil around the inlet manifold ...

Do you know how much used ones might cost?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Are you sure the inlet manifold is cracked. The inlet manifold gasket can fail causing the crankcase to over-pressurise forcing engine oil through various seals. If it ain't cracked or warped you may get away with just a gasket.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi again greeklaguna i work fixing lagunas nearly every day last week i had oil seals go on a 1.9 dci laguna the turbo was duff but still drove amazing but couldnt see the car behind me lol :eek: the car was pouring white smoke changed the turbo job done smoke gone i also had oil over back of my manifold common but if you keep driving you will drive it to its grave by the engine reving and drinking all its oil scrapping the engine be sure he knows for sure dnt make a mistake and blow a hole in your bank

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the replies guys. Really helpful.
I will tell my friend to look if the manifold is intact. He did mention there was a lot of oil around it so it might be the case of a seal failure I guess.
The smoke it comes from the back of the car is pure black not white though :-(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK New inlet manifold received today ... (well used one) but in good condition, will be fitted by Friday with a new gasket and see how it goes.
I hope it solves the problems...
;)
looking forward to the weekend. :devil:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK the car is back from the garage just this evening.

I need opinions :)

Changed the inlet manifold, cleared the injectors, cleared the EGR ... the amount of [email protected] in there was unbelievable ... took 2 days soaking in solvent to clear them ...

Now the question is ... the ECU is reset with the take the battery out ... and in again.

The average MPG around town ... having driven the car only 15mins is about 22... I expect this to get better as the ECU learns it self.

How many miles does it need for ECU to learn it self? ... I expect the car will be a bit up and down in performance while this is going on? am I right?

The black smoke is much better ... I was told it will disappear eventually ... as it is more likely left overs in the exaust system..
How long does it take for the system to clean? ... I will do a long trip tomorrow about 130miles of motorway...

Setting off from stand still ... the car is not hesitand anymore.

Cheers
V

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK Question ... after I completed 250miles since I got the car back from the Mechanic I am really pleased...
I estimates 610miles out of the full tank I think this is good... however many might argue that lol.

A few questions I need to ask :

There is a grindr/whistle noise when I set off from stand still with some high revs... This seems to be from as little as 1000rpm until 4000 .... It sounds like a wind up torch ... sound. Would that be the turbo? or a belt?
It happens only at 1st gear and I think ... a fraction of the second maybe... I do not know.

The black smoke still seems quite a lot to me... however I do not know ... if there are any leftovers on the catalytic converter... the smoke comes out only on "hard" acceleration and goes off once on steady speed...

Any ideas guys... I need to get it sorted as my other car has a radiator leak ... seems it is the car garages ... weeks lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts