Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some help what might have cased my scenic to blow creamy colored water all over the engine bay out of the exp bottle, the head gasket only done 3 weeks ago by a mechanic and was running lovely, but without warning this has happened, any suggestions? :confused:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Did he cure the fault, as TYRZ pointed out, what was the initial fault? Was the head warped, was it checked??

O

·
0 Posts
If the HG was only done 3 weeks ago I'd be straight back to the garage that did it for their input.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks to tyrz, ourcar, and smc for replies i have taken it back to the mechanic and he has confirmed its the thermostat that was at fault , seized up, the reason he didn't change it was because he was trying to save me money, ???
nice thought obvoiusly didn,t think to check with me 1st but he is redoing the HG and the renewing therm too at no charge for labour and HG only charging the price of the therm, he has to flush the whole system now as its solid ! so if one thing all the nuts and bolts are all easy to undo as they were undone recently.
once again thanks.:cool:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Good grief, thats a mistake an apprentice would make, not a skilled mechanic, save money my ****, a few quid extra? At least he admitted it.

Anyway, glad its getting sorted M8.

·
Registered
60 Posts
just goes to show cheap doesnt always work ,Glad your gettin it sorted ,its a bit of cheeky being charged for the thermostat though .should be doing that for the inconvience

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would a blocked/shut thermostat cause the water system to over pressurise? The thermostat is shut when the engine is cold but you wouldn't expect it to over pressurise. It would cause the engine to over heat and the over heating may cause the over pressuisation and head gasket failure but the temp gauge would have been round the clock assuming it was primed up! Major mistake to not check the coolant system when it was first run.

·
Registered
60 Posts
if it stays shut that will cause it to pressuresied under load. if the sysem wasnt bleed up that could cause it ,or even a blocked rad

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
......he has to flush the whole system now as its solid !
I think the above comment says it all - that's probably why the head gasket went first time around. After a head gasket blows it is essential the coolant system be properly cleaned. Just hope the heater matrix isn't blocked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts