Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Motorola HF850 Bluetooth setup for the wifes Accord. The unit itself has a mute wire to use with aftermarket stereos so your radio will mute on incoming calls. I was thinking about t'ing off the wire that goes from the volume down button on the steering wheel to the back of the radio. Do any of you think this would work? I would imagine that the volume up/down switch would have input voltage that is allowed to pass through the switch then to the back of the factory head unit when the button on the wheel is pushed or held. What I am thinking would be like automaticaly holding down the volume down button for the duration of a phone call by introducing the voltage after the switch which the HU should recognize as the same.

Do you all think this would work?

P.S. The car is a 2006 Accord EX-L Sedan, all stock.

flexible led reading light

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If the stereo uses ISO connectors, then there will probably be a muting line already present. You just need to work out which wire it is. The instructions with the hands-free kit should tell you more.

If it's a very simple (resistance based) steering remote, then you might be able to do what you suggest. I once made a home-brew remote for a Sony stereo that I fitted in a caravan. Each button just put a different resistance across the two terminals. Then again, in this day and age, it could just as easily be a binary signal. Short of opening up the switch and using a relay or opto-isolator to close the VOL- switch, I'd say you're onto a non-starter there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts