Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As many of you know,there are concerns over Clio bonnet safety catches seizing,which if the bonnet isn't closed properly on the main catch,can cause the bonnet to fly open when driving.

I'd just like to point out that this isn't just a problem with Clios!.I opened the bonnet on my Lag 1 phase 2 at the weekend and realised that the safety catch had seized on it!.The design of the Laguna 1 which has the bonnet forming the top edge of the front wings means it is difficult to see wether the bonnet is closed properly,so it is important that the safety catch works correctly.The Laguna 1 main catches can be a bit temperamental at the best of times,and the bonnet can easily be left on the safety catch by mistake......

The catch on mine(above) was seized in the open position!

This is what should happen(after spraying with a lubricant).When you pull the catch up(yellow arrow),the catch should spring back(blue arrow).

I would make sure that your catch does the same,no matter what Renault model you own.(Apart from early Clios that open the other way,of course!:)).Also,periodically lubricate the catch and make sure it's still free.

If this post saves one person from having their bonnet fly open,then it was worth writing it!:)

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Even though my bonnet catch is the normal type as fitted to most cars I still lubricate it every 6 months or so, also the cables and the main catch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts