Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, not sure if I'm in the right forum part for my problem but I'll give it a try anyway.
I tried to "pop" the bonnet on my 1999 Laguna today to fill up windscreen water and nothing happened.
I pulled the latch under the steering wheel and it came out quite a bit but did not open the bonnet.
Will this be a garage case or is there anything I can do?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,254 Posts
usual fix is a indy garage and a ramp, and someone to donate some scuffed knuckles getting the cables pulled from under the car.

the locks may be gunked up with road grime, they tend to seize and get stretched/snapped cables.

pm me if you want some replacement locks/cables, i have the good ones from my old lag1.

Reactions: nessie287

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not managed to get to garage yet but I'm a little confused anyway. The car has been MOT'd just before I picked it up and, correct me if I'm wrong,I suppose they had to open the bonnet for the MOT?
So either the garage broke it, didn't open it at all or it just got stuck a few days after MOT...weird I say.
Will see if I can get it to garage in a few days and see what they say.

R

·
0 Posts
If the garage made no comment then I would think they got it open and you probably have a sticking cable or release catch?

Get some one to hold the bonnet release lever in the fully open postion whilst you open the bonnet.

If you do get it open then lubricate the bonet release mechanism and the cable whilst some one opertates the lever so you can lubricate as much of the cable as you can.

Let us know if you do get it open :)

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,254 Posts
one trick to open it.
have someone push hard down on the bonnet over the latches and another pulls the cable lever.
if the latches are sticky or the cable is stretching under load it can sometimes do the job as it reduces the loading on the cable.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
As mord says, get someone to push down on the bonnet over the catches (they're located above each headlight so push there) whilst you pull the lever, this should get it open if its a sticking catch or cable.

If you do then get it open, clean up the catches and locks and apply some liquid grease to them.

If you need a new cable, I have a brand new one I bought when I had the same issue and thought the cable was stretched / snapped. This was 12 months ago now - I just grease the catches whenever I'm checking oil / screenwash and its been fine. You can have the cable for a few beer tokens if you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips guys, I will give it a go at the weekend and let you know what happens.
Thanks for the offer phil, will let you know if I need it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success!!! Sorry, took a while to reply but you know what life is like...
We managed to get the bonnet open by pushing down on it and it looks like one side is not releasing properly. The cable looks corroded and seems to be a little slack. Is it hard to replace the cable?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts