Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A MKIII Megane for sale has "Both Hand Brake Cables Poor Condition" as an advisory. Parking brake is also only making 17% efficiency.

It's a garage selling the Megane. I asked them about these advisories. They said they've redone the MOT, braking is well within MOT standards and the cable's plastic coating is coming off. Since then, the advisories have been removed. See attachment.

Does anyone have any opinion towards all this? I'm worried they've scrubbed the advisories knowing there are issues present.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, handbrake performance limit is about the 16% mark.
Presume the worst and act accordingly. They won't get better by themselves.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,040 Posts
A garage cannot scrub advisories, they are something an MOT inspector adds.
IMO about as worthless as a chocolate tea pot, I've taken the same car into the same garage for MOT over 5 years, never repaired an advisory unless really needed and never had one repeat.
They are a guide to what the inspector sees on the day and what they feel like.

Having said that.
Handbrake was low, some work done and re-MOT'd.
Presumably the figures were better.
Understandable as the seller knows that they will be hammered if there is an accident and it comes out that they sold a motor with dodgy brakes.

That the plastic covering is coming off the cables is more worrying to me.
If outer cover, new cables will be needed in a year or three.
If inner cable, new cables needed now, they are going to jam if they aren't already.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all,
They tried telling me it's just a coating that's not needed and most cars have no coating. Efficiency is at 30% now after MOT.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,040 Posts
Thanks all,
They tried telling me it's just a coating that's not needed and most cars have no coating. Efficiency is at 30% now after MOT.
Just about every car has coated cables these days.
Outer plastic coating on the sheath
Inner plastic coating on the cable.
People like Dura (one of the major makers of cables) have spent a fortune on kitting up to make these.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,764 Posts
Not come across any car made for a country,where they grit roads, that wont have a plastic coating on the cables..
You need two new cables,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts