Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a Clio DCI mk3 facelift, replacing the front wheel bearings and top suspension bearings as MOT failure. Not my car hasten to add.
Anyway whilst separating the swivel hub from the lower wishbone using a ball joint separator I've damaged the rubber boot. Ball joint looks to be OK. Does anyone know if you can replace the boots on these? I've seen a thread on knocking out the ball joint from the arm and fitting a new one, that would be my second option. Don't want to replace the complete arms as they don't look that old.
Need some expert advice as job has now come to a stop.:coffee:

Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
You can replace then but will probably only get universal ones unless you know the size. and it hard to believe some times that a rubber dust cover could be dearer that the compleat joint..so hold that thought a mo and just buy a cheap joint remove the cover and fit to the one on the car..Bobs yer uncle Fanny is yer aunt.. 馃槈

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
Most motor factors sell them Andy.
Dont forget the cable ties with it, ASK if they dont include them.

Expect to pay 拢1.50

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies but it appears a clumsy oaf (that would be me) has made the decision by default. Tried to see if the old dust cover comes off and wrecked the thing. Now going with Phil's suggestion and replacing the ball joint, 拢16 for a pair from the 'Bay'. Lots of heat a large socket and big hammer and the old one is out.(y)
Out of interest is there a way of separation these ball joints from the swivel hub without wrecking them. Did the very same thing on the Freelander and that ended up costing me two new suspension arms:mad:

There is a knack to it..
Its getting at the hub, and hitting it hard where the ball joint enters..
Same principle as getting a track rod end out.
But room is limited..
You have to work out, is it worth spending the extra 20 minutes removing disc, and Caliper , And separating track rod end from the hub, so you can swivel it further around to get an easier hit

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
Well that's got to be worth a try on the other side when I get there. Will have a spare ball joint just in case I make a complete hash of that one as well. 馃憤

Just no room on some of the cars Pete.
On some cars, if you damage the Rubber boot, its a ball joint.
But then its grind the rivets out, at that point its a new lower arm.
As these are not cheap, I will take calliper and disc off to get at the hub easier...
Its still quicker than changing a complete arm
There is a tool for Renault to take the ball joint out, and replace in situ.
@Nexxusone has shown pictures of it in action.
But he has a few Renaults, so it pays him.

Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
Bottom ball joint is held in swivel hub like this..undo pinch bolt and remove if you wish then undo ball joint nut and tap in a wedge to open the gap a little where the pinch bolt was removed..joint should come off the hub easily then..removing the complete arm is literally a ball ache and quite involved and as Our kid says very little room in there to swing a cat..

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
That ball joint press tool looks the business. Think I'll give the big hammer version a try first though. 馃挭

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update.
Tried something similar to that suggested by ours2012 on the other ball joint. As the caliper and disc were out the way, removed the pinch bolt and repeatedly tapped around the lower part of the swivel hub where the ball joint enters. Only used a claw hammer though. After a couple of minutes it just dropped out of the tapper.
Happy days.:)
Unfortunately that ball joint was already knackered so had to be replaced anyway.
But shows it can be done鈥................so many thanks to ours2012 yet again. 馃憤

1 - 13 of 13 Posts