Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys

I'm new here and i bought my first Renault today. Its a 2000 RXI 1.4 Coupe. It seemed fine when viewing it but a worrying noise is now coming from (so it seems) the metal box type thing beside the ignition coil packs (i know very little about cars only pick up things as i go along) it sounds like a loud whoo whoo whoo - almost like a soft breathy whistle.. its like this when in idle and can hear it on the inside its that loud..

any help or advice greatly appreciated as i'm not in a great financial situation so a semi diagnosis would mean alot :)

Also i uploaded a file of a picture of different megane engine but i put a red arrow in the general area where the sound seems to be coming from in case it helps.

Thanks

Chantelle

Attachments

O

·
0 Posts
That is where the timing belt is, but without hearing the noise it's hard to say what it is.

Does it do it when cold, hot or all the time?

Is it possible you could upload a video on youtube?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is where the timing belt is, but without hearing the noise it's hard to say what it is.

Does it do it when cold, hot or all the time?

Is it possible you could upload a video on youtube?
Hi

I only got it today.. I'll know more in the morning when start her up and i will try get a video of it too. When i was looking at it the guy (who took it as a trade in a few months back) said the belt was done at 85k approx (its on a sticker inside the car-if you can believe it is another story) and it currently only has 112k on it.

I didnt really notice it earlier to be honest when started it up, took it for a spin etc.. so maybe its only after it's been driven a while but again i'll double check what you have asked in the morning so if you can check back on this then that would be great and i'll have more info.

Thanks so much for your help

Chantelle

O

·
0 Posts
Mine makes a sort of whoo whooing noise in the mornings. My last one did too.

It's probably OK.;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine makes a sort of whoo whooing noise in the mornings. My last one did too.

It's probably OK.;)
I started it there and its faint but still in the background so its definitely worse when driven for a while.. it doesnt disappear after a while either - when engine is going its constant.. i'll try and record it tomorrow :)

Thanks

Chantelle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you only bought the car today i would take it back to the dealer if your not happy with it.
He's not a registered dealer, more like a private seller who takes cars in from time to time etc.. so in this case, its buyer beware

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried recording it today but the sound just wouldn't come through properly on it.. i'll try it again tomorrow. I took it to a Renault garage - and from what he heard and the location he mentioned a few things.. timing belt (timing belt kit was done at 84600mls and currently has 112k miles..) he mentioned pullies and barings also, even power steering belt? obviously they need to strip it for diagnosis but i'm gonna try get a couple of opions forst cuz the stripping it down costs alot as it is..

Let me know if any of those parts being the problem makes sense..

Thanks

Chantelle

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
If water pump is on the timing belt than it could make this sound as well as bearings in guide and tensioning pulleys on the timing belt. But assuming timing belt kit included all pulleys than i would think its the water pump bearing gone.

To make sure its something on the timing belt and not on the auxiliary belt - remove aux belt and start the engine. If noise is there its one of the pulleys or w. pump on the timing belt, but if sound is gone than its alternator/pas pump/air con pump/ tensioning pulley on aux belt.

hope this helps

O

·
0 Posts
:iagree:

The garage could save you a lot of cash if they took the aux belt off first, as it would eliminate a lot of possibilities.

With the right tools and accessibility, it is very quick to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts