Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, im looking for advice. I had the handbrake adjusted on my clio but i have not moved it since, i started it up about a week later and it started fine. Later when i went to start it up again it came up break fault. Would the hand brake adjustment cause this. Im thinkin it must be as it was fine before. Any advice how to proceed.

thanks

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,619 Posts
Would not have thought hand brake n a Clio would do more then keep the handbrake on light on if summat wrong there. Could be wrong.
But I am wary of Brake Fault on any Renault.
Check fluid level first, if low that will show it.
See what others come up with.

Deffo Brake Fault?
When starting, light on and doesn't go off or did it first come on when moving or what ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wont start at all, it hasnt been moved since break was adjusted, its my sons car and he said it was a break fault, car has been sitting for a few weeks so im wondering if it maybe a battery problem. I will check myself tomorrow and try a jump start. It would not surprise me if my son has got it wrong. He said it started then when he tried again it would not start and came up brake fault. Hopefully its the battery as its easier sorted.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,619 Posts
Ah, makes sense and I think you may have the right of it.
Many modern cars and deffo Renaults will throw up random faults if the battery is low or poor condition.
Sensors are expected to give a reading within a range.
If the input voltage is low, they don't produce the output so an error is flagged.
Go for the battery/jump.
And all modern cars will drain a battery if left standing, how quickly depends on battery state but it will happen.

Depending on state of battery and jump leads, often worth leaving them connected with the donor car running for 5-10 minutes to get some initial charge into the battery.
Before trying to start it.
If the battery is old, consider a new one.
Especially with winter coming.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Yep ditto my money's on low battery, brake fault is a red herring. You can get it for example if there isn't enough battery power to run the ABS pump. Or sensor tests come back with stupid Voltages.

Can't leave these cars standing for weeks, needs driving or a top-up charge every couple of weeks, or up to 1 month at the absolute max.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i will try that and hopefully problem solved, if it starts then a new battery it will be. Like you say winters coming and it will just happen again, il feed back how i get on. Thanks for the feed back 👍

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Can't leave these cars standing for weeks, needs driving or a top-up charge every couple of weeks, or up to 1 month at the absolute max.
+1, I have a diary reminder every 3 weeks for an overnight charge. The only thing that overrides it is a longish drive.
No battery shenanigans since, but I do have the luxury of a garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts