Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
When driving during hot conditions my 1989 Trafic develops spongy brakes that require an additional pump of the pedal. I flushed and filled with Fuchs Silkolene Dot 4 only two years/5K Miles ago. I have Wilko Dot4 fluid unopened in stock but while in Halfords today I noted both Mineral and Synthetic Fluids. Any advice regarding why the apparently heat related issue may have developed and which fluid is preferable?
Many thanks in advance of any contributions.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,026 Posts
Not got too much in the reservoir?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,510 Posts
Spongy brakes when hot is a common symptom of old fluid.... but two years isn't past the use by date..generally taken as 3 years.

I'd be more tempted to look at the mechanics of the brakes, clean and ensure all is free.... hot weather may just be expanding things enough to start them sticking.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,203 Posts
My van suffered from a leaking Load Sensing Valve .... situated in the brake line just before the back axle. I think it cost around £60 - £70 for the new part + fitting but that was around 7 years ago.

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Hi

From my experience if there is no loss of fluid then its the master cylinder or its seals allowing fluid to pass by.

Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts