Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there and welcome.

2 possibilities spring to mind;

Did you have your other lights on? i.e. sidelights - if so, it may be a short circuit in the rear light cluster/wiring. Especially if the brake lights went out once the main lights were switched off.

Or, failing that possibility - it may be a switch (operated by pressing the brake pedal) which has jammed in the 'on' position.

I would consult an auto electrician if your car is out of warranty.

Hope that helps.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Hi Lilly,

Do as Vel suggested as a first step and make sure there isn't a short. With the Lag I'm almost certain the switch to operate the brake lights is on the passenger side on the brake pedal linkage to the master cylinder. These switches are have a 'push to break' operation so as soon as the brake pedal moves down by pressing on it the switch is released and the lights go on. Stick your head in the passenger foot well and have a look to see if you can see it. Some times these work loose and just need adjusting. I'll have a look on mine for you in the morning to find the exact location.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for this help. I took car to local garage and mechanic didnt know where the switch was and thanks to you I was able to tell him it was at the passengers side. To which he looked quite puzzled as I know nothing about cars hahaha. I think i impressed him but i told him the truth eventualy. Thanks for all your help. Quick flick of the switch and car sorted.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Hi Lilly,

Glad I was of some use to you. I bet you felt quite pleased being able to tell the mechanic where the switch was, I know I would!
It's nice to take your car to any mechanic armed with some info of the problem. gives you some idea of the work they are going to do and could save some people from being ripped off too.
I fyou get any problems in the furture, come back on this site to see if you can get more info, you never know you might end up impressing your mechanic again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts