Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hope someone can help.. I had a Clio 1.5Dci 54 plate and the brakes failed, I pumped them at the time but nothing happened, about 15 - 20 minutes earlier I smelt a burning/suphur smell.

I had to use the handbrake as I did not have time to go through my gears, the vehicle was written off. It had been in for a service through the company (COOP) garage two weeks earlier and I had driven about 1800 miles in that time prior to the brakes failing. I cannot get the VIN number as the vehicle has been destroyed and the Coop will not give me any info, Closed ranks....:steam:

The reg for the vehicle if it helps was YH54JWK. What could have caused the problem to have happened?

I look forward to your help... :crazy:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Leaking seals from the pump at the brake discs.
The smell comes from burning brake bluid wich acts as grease - hense the poor braking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi DemonXP, thanks for that, that would explain the smell.

Would the seals have been checked during a service? Sorry about this but I have no idea about looking after vehicles beyond basic checks etc!!:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I cannot know, Paullangford2007. If you had your brake pads replaced recently the seals might have took some soil inside the brake piston and that might've caused the leak.
Normally, when servicing a car at my place, which is about 2500 miles from you, they don't go in such detail and doubt they do it in the good ol' UK.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Paul - the smell you describe is more likley to be overheating brakes and the brake lining material has reached a very high temeprature - could be the result of a sticking caliper or cylinder - or even possibily poor fitting if the brakes had been repaired or serviced. Can you get a record of the vehicles last service and was the vehicle inspected by a surveyor from the insurers. When brakes reach a very high temperature the brake fluid will actually boil and start to vapourize resulting in brake failure.:)

P.S. did the vehicle have ABS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Other brake

Does anybody know of any other brake failure problems? My friend has experienced something similar but there doesn't seem to have been any feedback from the dealer who looked at the car... that too was a 2004 Clio DCi Expression

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
When a car goes in for a proper service (i.e. to a VAT registered proper garage), isn't is part of the service to strip and service the brakes?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Were any brake components changed?(i.e pads/shoes etc?)

It possible that the master cylinder seals could be damaged when this was done.Did the pedal go to the floor?.If so,then this is the most likely cause.

Brake fade or a faulty servo would cause the pedal to have a short travel and be solid,without much in the way of brake effort at the wheels.We have had some instances of intermittant brake failure and servo failures on newer Scenics,but not Clios as yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts