Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have yet another problem with my Renault Traffic (57).
If i brake hard and the abs kicks in the brakes lock up for a short period of time after i have taken my food off the pedal ?
The abs does its job and stops it skidding but then it applies the brakes afterwards ?

Any ideas ?????

Thanks in advance.....Dave...

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,060 Posts
How long do the brakes lock on for ?

Could the solenoid valves be sticking on after ABS operation?

If the brake fluid is old and dirty maybe changing it would help.

Cheers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI

Thanks for the fast reply, the brakes stay locked on for 30 seconds roughly. i was going to flush the fluid through first as the van is 6 years old but only done 47k also its been mapped so the brakes do get used :eek: . Im not up on abs pumps is the solenoid replaceable or is it a new pump?

Thanks again

Dave......

·
2,060 Posts
I'm no ABS expert either :d I'm just stabbing in the dark regarding your problem.

The solenoids are electrical magnets that operate valves in the valve block. The valve block is the alloy part that the brake pipes connect to.
When the ABS kicks in the solenoids operate the valves which work to stop the wheels locking up.

I'm thinking that maybe your valves could be sticking or something, maybe this could be because of the brake fluid, so it's got to be worth changing it to see if it makes any difference as it's the cheapest option to start with.
If the problem is no different after changing the fluid well then you will have to look at changing the ABS unit, I would probably try a 2nd hand unit from the breakers.

Changing the brake fluid....

I would recommend using a pressure bleeder to change the fluid, but failing that the old pumping the pedal method will suffice. Just make sure not to push the pedal right to the floor when bleeding, try to only push it as far as it goes under normal everyday use, half way down as a maximum.

Cheers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI

Yes the fluid first i think as well, i have the clip interface and i believe there is a section on bleeding the abs pump on there but i will need to plug it in and take a look.
I will let you know how it goes...

Thanks

Dave...

·
2,060 Posts
If you have a clip maybe you can test the ABS valves with it, if you can and you can operate the valves that would make sure they weren't sticking.

Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts