Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
Curious to know whether anyone can confirm whether your PETROL consumption is improved if you use Branded petrol as opposed to the Supermarkets?

Some say derv is better from Branded suppliers but not sure about petrol.

Would welcome your feedback.

Cheers!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I think the overall concensus is that branded 'superfuels' give better mpg, but not enough to justify the additional cost.

Now for standard fuels, I think people buy according to convenience/price & whatever loyalty scheme is operating - I can't say I've noticed a difference.

But then again, since it all comes from the same hole in the ground & refined in the same plant - I wouldn't expect to see a change.

HTH

Paul

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
A*** price here in the main, although I have filled up on a number of occasions with different branded fuels. I haven't seen any major difference, although in complete fairness it's comparatively difficult to judge, unless you can guarantee the same route, traffic conditions, and also driver behaviour.

Fairness aside, I see little if any difference.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Comparing Sainsbury's City Diesel and Shell diesel on alternate weeks over the same commuting route, I have found that there is no difference. I will fill up where it's cheapest.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Buy fuel in Manchester area and it comes from Shell Stanlow refinery, buy in Scotland and it's from ex-BP Grangemouth refinery no matter whose name is on the pump:)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Funnily enough, the Lag 2.2D did not like supermarket fuel very much and always ran much more quietly and was easier to start on DP, Esso or Shell than any of the supermarket fuels, but none of the petrol cars I've had seem to care in the slightest. I've never tried the 'premium' stuff though...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems the general concensus is that unless I buy superfuel then I'm not gonna notice a difference in performance/economy.
However, I will add the only cheap fuel I leave alone is Total.
Their fuel has definately given me less fuel economy and a noticable lack in performance. Just my personal experience!

I thankyou all for your comments.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I have petrol cars and foubnd some don't run as smooth when using supermarket brand fuels.
A VW driver claimed once he suffered 10% worse economy and poorer running when using supermarket fuels.
As regards Total, about 3 years ago didn't they promote getting further on a tankful of their fuel - I tried it and it seemed to be a realistic claim.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Strangely enough, I noticed a distinct mileage improvement in my car when Shell's new petrol and diesel came out (forget what it's called now). Now, however, the advantage has disappeared.
Perhaps the cause is, as some say on here, that the fuel is practically identical wherever you get it from and supermarkets are now selling the same formulation as Shell.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
ive been using jet fuel station petrol in my bike over the last couple of week and im getting pinking pre detonation now time to use some one else i think

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
All the fuel is the same coming from the refinery's.
Shell and co then add their own additives.
Thats what makes the difference.:driving:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Be aware - one of the latest scams is to dilute petrol with kerosene and then add a naptha consituent to make up for the loss of octane.

This has happened in few filling stations in my region - even in stations with well-known brand names.:eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
slightly off topic as it is deisel but i have noticed a 5-6 mpg improvement after switching from morrisons fuel to shell fuel save and the car a 1.9 dci runs smother and quieter and it appears to have cleaned out the egr valve as well. well worth switching in my case.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i currently go college to study mechanics, we had a visit from a guy cant remember where he was from but he said to avoid supermarket fuels because they dont filter/refine them as well as major brands. he then showed us two pistons taken out of demo engines they have, one was run on morrisons fuel and the top was black and covered in carbon deposit, the other was from bp and was a little black but alot alot alot better than the morrisons. moral of the story, 1-either he was telling the truth and we should avoid supermarket fuels, or 2- he was lying and works for bp. i duno jus thought id share. tj

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Buy fuel in Manchester area and it comes from Shell Stanlow refinery, buy in Scotland and it's from ex-BP Grangemouth refinery no matter whose name is on the pump:)
+1 with that. I know Shell and some add additives but they don't do that much to be honest, not in my experience anyway. I drive up to 700 miles a week as I live in Manchester and work from Portsmouth. I use Morrisons, Shell, BP. They all give me roughly the same MPG whether I'm on LPG or Petrol.

This gets questioned to death as does the premium fuel MPG difference. If you have a very powerful car, use premium fuels as it is designed to run on them. If you use a normal everyday car then use normal fuel.

Generally it is who you favour. If you tend to do the test to see which is better you will generally drive better and more conservatively when you fill up with your 'preferred' `company. You might not notice it but you do. And also as someone said, traffic, road conditions etc all aid in this and are never the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts