Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I'm not sure who will really benefit from this sale - I think car companies need the economies of scale which come from platform sharing and research & development. Sure, A-M are in the black (for the first time in many years), but this has been on the back of Ford's massive resources (and with Ford's management largely leaving them alone). Take that away, and add the financial pressures which arise from investors looking for quick returns on their investment, then the management may have to forego long-term product development for short-term results.
Think Rover Group for example, they could not finance new product development, so could only tart-up an old and tired product range (or buy in some nonsense from India), another recent example is TVR.
Bentley could not have made the cars they now make (and have the success they enjoy) without VW's assistance (same for Lamborghini), and Rolls-Royce have had success under BMW's stewardship.

I hope I'm proved wrong, but I believe it to be a retrograde step.

Paul:)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
I agree with Velsatisfied ... and I'm worried :( .

Aston Martin may have produced some of their best cars during the David Brown era .... but that was 45 'ish years ago and they made no money then and nearly went ***'s up several times ... proper R&D is not cheap ..... I just hope its not a case of returning to the "good old days" .....

as the Who once sang .... "meet the new boss .. same as the old boss"

Just hope we dont get fooled again.

Thus endith the lesson in remembering old song lyrics.
:d

Anyway .... what are FORD doing ..... are Volvo Cars next .... then LandRover . .... maybe the should have stuck to doing what they do best ... ubiquitus cars!

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Ford are in serious poop,and Aston Martin was the only company owned by them which was making money,which made it the only one worth selling!:)

Great post,Truckbusuk!.Anything with The Who lyrics in it is fine by me!.Do you still play a mean pin ball?:rofl:

(Oh dear....:eek:)

·
2,311 Posts
Ford are in serious poop,and Aston Martin was the only company owned by them which was making money,which made it the only one worth selling!:)

Great post,Truckbusuk!.Anything with The Who lyrics in it is fine by me!.Do you still play a mean pin ball?:rofl:

(Oh dear....:eek:)
For a deaf, dumb and blind kid .... I think my typing quite good .... + I'd love a full size pinball machine in the kitchen though .... but the managements having none of it :rolleyes:

Back at Aston's though .... while what Prodrive have accomplished as a motorsports developer I'm seriously impressed with, I'm not really a hugh fan of Dave Richards ... he meddles to much then quich as a flash he walks away ... Benneton in the late 90's, BAR in 2002/3 ...
coming back to F1 in the next year or so with Prodrive ..... I can see another Tom Walkinshaw Racing (TWR) happening here ... thought he new more about it than he did (and as adriver he should ... Tom Walkinshaw I mean ... Richards was Ari Vatanens co-driver .... really showing my age now!) ... then the money runs out ..... hope I'm wrong!

:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
This is a bit spooky,but I have often drawn comparisons between Tom Walkinshaw and Dave Richards in the past.

At one stage,everything that TWR touched turned to gold,but they went a step too far and paid the price.Buying Arrows was,at the time,a good move,but one sponsor (Orange) let them down and the whole company dissapeared.

Prodrive is where TWR was a few years before the sh=t hit the fan.Everything coming up roses,everyone wanting them to run their teams and build their cars.......well,almost everything coming up roses.If you actually dig a bit deeper,the main stay of Prodrive is floundering.Their works Subaru WRC team is struggling.No win in god knows how long,even though they have one of the greatest drivers of his era(Petter Sohlberg) and a budget as big as anyones.The slump in form has coincided with the organization thinking about,then announcing that they are entering F1.

Formula 1 is not a playground,ask Eddie Jordan,Alain Prost,Paul Stoddart or even Tom Walkinshaw........teams come and go,success is everything.If you ain't winning,no one wants to know you.I just wonder what will happen when (or if) Prodrive enter F1 and fail to make an impression.If Prodrive loses as much money as TWR did because of just one sponsor,will it effect Aston Martin?.I know there are other backers,but Dave Richards is the number 1 in the deal.

I personally don't care about Aston Martin as a marque,but I do care about all the people working there and for their suppliers employees.I hope it's not one gamble too far for the ambitious Mr.Richards,because he will never recover if it does go wrong.

·
2,311 Posts
Hi Lagdti, my thoughts too ... spooky indeed.

Excellent post though, only time will tell, hope Astons and Prodrive survive ....

as for Subaru WRC ... Solberg ... retired in Sweden and Mexico (withdrawn and mechanical) , 6th in Monte (first finish in 5 attempts) and 4th in Norway ... not a good start then this year either ... new cars... just HOW different can they be ... Prodrive have been running Subaru for 17 years. :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts