Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi took my car to mechanic the other day and while he was taking wheel off the alloy key broke! I drive a renault clio and the alloys arent standard renault! The alloys were on the car when i bought it! How do i go about getting a new lock key! Has anyone had a similar problem? Can a garage take the tyres off without the lock key? any suggestions/advice welcome! thanks

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Busted wheel nut key

Hi Idgi, If the wheels are non-renault it's possible the nuts/bolts are also non-renault. Most alloy wheel suppliers sell kits and keys to suit. It would be best to take the car to one of these dealers and see if they can match. Remember it is essential wheel nuts are tightened to the correct torque when fitted. No air-guns or big bars should be used when tightening.:)

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
also when tightening nuts take the hand brake off and tighten untill the car rolls forward/back

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just incase your car didn't smash into a tree.
I think I saw a tool in halfords that can be used to get a wheel nut of if the key has been lost. Won't hurt to have a look and see if there is anyway.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Get a torque wrench

Not a very good way of gauging how tight a bolt is - what happens if you've a sticky brake or something and it would also depend on your weight or lack of it suppose.:d

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Well your weight wouldn't matter, neither would using a breaker bar rather than a short stubby brace, it might take more physical effort one way than another, but the torque on the nut required to move the car would still be the same regardless; unless that is as you say, you have sticky brakes, but AFAIK over torquing is Ok, it's a minimum requirement not a specific one??

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
HI schmooster - I have worked with motor vehicles over 40 years and in all that time I have only ever seen one wheel fall off due to being undertightened but many where the bolts or studs have failed due to over-tightening. This is were the bolt or stud is subjected to being overstressed and resulting in fatigue and fractures.:confused:

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Hi took my car to mechanic the other day and while he was taking wheel off the alloy key broke! I drive a renault clio and the alloys arent standard renault! The alloys were on the car when i bought it! How do i go about getting a new lock key! Has anyone had a similar problem? Can a garage take the tyres off without the lock key? any suggestions/advice welcome! thanks

Found this the other day, might help..........

Sealey Locking Wheel Nut Removal Set 2pc 21 & 25mm - Sealey SX200 - SEASX200 at Tooled-Up.com

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Davess - a helpul link if you have access to an impact air gun. Most tyre dealers have these as a standby. I reckon the cheapest option is to take the car to a decent tyre dealer and ask them to remove the stubborn bolt. As the site says the nut/bolt will be distorted after using this tool and will need replaced. It is good practice to smear the bolts/studs with anti-seize compound and have them torqued when cold - take the car for a run - park up until wheels and hubs are cold then check the torque again.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts